Support (ATB Viewer)

atbvicon64

Thank you for visiting my support page for ATB Viewer for Mac.

Before asking a question, PLEASE check the Known Issues and Frequently Asked Questions sections. Also read/refer to the built in User Guide (at the bottom of the Settings screen). It only takes ONE question during the lifetime of an app to wipe out any and all profit from you as a user.

Known Issues – version 1.2.1

1.2.1 was released on 19th November, mainly to fix a few bugs.

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Data is inconsistent between the Mac and iOS – make sure you have backed up recently. If you have not made a backup for a long time, even if you have been syncing since then, sync changes are only kept for 90 days, so there could be a gap in your data.

How is the full version of Account Tracker coming along? When will it be released? … etc – I am currently waiting for enough users to buy my backup viewer to make this viable. Currently I only have a few 100, and I only make £2.91 from each one (£4.99 less 20% VAT, less 30% for Apple). I had planned on charging £15 for the full version, discounted to £10 for users who buy the backup viewer, but this only adds a further £5.82 per user. Even if I charge £25 (probably the maximum I could justify), I still need 1000s of users just to break even. It seems on the Mac this is a big challenge, but hopefully it will happen some day …

All Other Questions

If you can’t find an answer to your question above, please send me an email and I will respond to you as quickly as I can.

Note that I previously used the comments section below for questions, however after 7 years I have decided it doesn’t work very well (at all!). Far too many people were failing to sign up for responses or they were mistyping their email addresses causing responses to bounce.

Let’s see if the email option works any better …

1. April 17, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Graham the problem reappeared & this time I had 5 repeat items for the same entry several times. I have syncing enabled. My last backup on the iPhone was 7/04/16 so I went to back up again then loaded the ATB viewer on the Mac & all was correct again. I did previously try disabling & re-enabling syncing as you suggested though doing a current back up seems to clear the issue. Do you know why this is happening ?

• April 17, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Does your sync log on iOS show any sync files ignored?

• April 17, 2016 at 8:56 pm

I have this message in my sync log:
        Note: 23 sync files were ignored! Please contact SUPPORT for help as this might prevent devices from syncing properly.

• April 17, 2016 at 8:57 pm

As I suspected. This is an Apple bug that is mentioned on my support page about syncing. The only workaround is to disable syncing on all iOS devices and set it up again. Sorry.

• April 17, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Ok Graham thank you.

2. April 7, 2016 at 11:10 am

Hi Graham, I am getting triple entries on the ATB viewer though the entries in the iPhone are singular. Can you help please.

• April 7, 2016 at 9:19 pm

How are you getting your data onto the Mac? Is it a single backup file or do you have syncing enabled? There might be a problem with the latter so you could try disabling it and re-enabling.

• April 7, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Graham, whilst waiting for your reply I did a backup on the iPhone and a couple of hours later I loaded the ATB viewer on the Mac and all is correct now. Yes I do have syncing enabled.

3. Michael Grange
    January 24, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Sorry to trouble you again Graham. I have upgraded to Pro so have both Apps running on my devices. I have all devices running iCloud Drive and my other apps update ok over iCloud Drive except the ATB Viewer on the Mac. At the top of the ATB Viewer page the last backup showing is on 22nd though on both Acc Tracker & Acc Tracker Pro I have saved backups for 23rd.My pro App is the most up to date one. How can I get ATB viewer to read the backup for 23rd ?

• January 24, 2016 at 4:59 pm

It will pick it up automatically but the app only does this when you launch it. Try quitting and re-launching. If this doesn’t work please see my support page on iOS wrt icloud issues.

4. Richard Goodwin
    January 19, 2016 at 10:13 am

It would be great to have the ability to export csv files from ATB Viewer. I frequently have to create custom reports (such as for my tax return.) Is this planned for the £25 version of ATB?

• January 19, 2016 at 6:17 pm

It would be, yes.

5. Len Adams
    January 16, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Hi Graham ,
    I have just purchased the Pro version.
    Could you tell me how to transfer all my accounts from the one I have been using for years to the new pro version.
    Also can I print off my accounts
    Len

• January 16, 2016 at 7:08 pm

These questions have nothing to do with my Mac app (which is where you asked them!). You might find the correct support page more useful (https://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts/support/). You can print from the reports screen, after generating a PDF report.

6. Nicola Sanniweb Sannino
    January 14, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Hello Graham,

In Mac App can you integrate the feature for manage, i think only view is a very limited? other your competitors have this, but I prefer use ATB Viewer because use Account Tracker on IOS since 2012.

Thanks!

• January 14, 2016 at 7:12 pm

No. There is a statement about the Mac app on my support page (please read it if you missed it) and my position won’t change until I get enough users interested and supporting me. I am about 1/2 of the way there, assuming I can charge £25 for the full version (£20 at launch so people aren’t paying twice).

7. Jonah
    January 6, 2016 at 10:42 am

Hello I have just changed from personal sync to family sync. I opened the latest version from my dropbox no issues. I then carried out a second backup, checked it appeared in my dropbox folder before reopening the ATB viewer. It did not show the latest version, I had to navigate to it and open it that way. Is this correct or should it just simply open the latest version like it did before? Also whilst here is the app allowed to sync to both iCloud and dropbox or is this not recommended. Thanks for your time.

• January 6, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Yes that is correct. Mac apps distributed via the AppStore are not allowed unrestricted access to your folders to open random files without your consent. This is why you have to select the file yourself. Just use Finder to locate your backup files and double click on the latest one. No, you can’t sync over two different technologies at the same time.

8. Michael Grange
    December 21, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Hello Graham. It turned out to be a slow iCloud problem. Thanks
    Incidentally I would be happy to pay your suggested £25 for the full version. I really believe if more people knew about your app you’d have the numbers you require.

9. Michael Grange
    December 21, 2015 at 12:51 pm

The ATB viewer was working fine on my Mac but suddenly it has stopped updating any changes I make on my iPhone. Can you suggest anything i might try to get it syncing again. I’m using iCloud drive to sync.

• December 21, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Hi Michael, if it isn’t picking up the most recent backup file, you have a problem with iCloud in general. You mention iCloud Drive, so assume you know you need to be running this on all of your devices? If it is picking up the backup file but not the sync changes, please see this post, linked to from my support page: https://grahamhaley.co.uk/2015/01/11/icloud-syncing-in-account-tracker/.

10. Byronski
    December 1, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Sorry for sounding so naive but where do I find my iCloud folder. I have got an iCloud Drive folder which has my Pages, Numbers folders but cannot see where the iCloud folder where the backup of the AT is.

• December 1, 2015 at 10:18 pm

There isn’t one for documents in the cloud, or at least you don’t have access to it. Sorry.

11. Byronski
    December 1, 2015 at 9:54 pm

When I have set Dropbix and iCloud to sync on both the primary & secondary, it starts syncing but the iCloud button gets greyed out. Should I be doing this individually, say first the Dropbix then switch off Dropbox and set the iCloud and sync again

• December 1, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Hi, I have no idea what you are trying to do. The documentation on syncing explains exactly how to set it up, either to use iCloud or Dropbox (but not both). If you are not syncing or syncing over iCloud, you can copy backup files between your device and iCloud or Dropbox by selecting them. If you are syncing over Dropbox, by definition iCloud must be disabled.

12. Byronski
    December 1, 2015 at 8:16 pm

When I set it to iCloud, it greys it out and only Dropbox is in dark. Do I have to set it to Dropbox first and then disable Dropbox and set it to iCloud. Bit of a faff if I have to do it every time. Or am I not understanding something basic.

• December 1, 2015 at 8:24 pm

You would need to disable syncing, then enable both iCloud and Dropbox first. Bit of a hassle but you did ask …

13. Byronski
    December 1, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Do you mean copy the backup file to iCloud? Where would that be?

• December 1, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Backups screen, select iCloud at the top (assuming it’s enabled), select the backup and choose Copy to iCloud. Please see the user guide on backups.

14. December 1, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Is it possible to have a Search Feature on the Support page. Saves trawling through the whole Support Page looking for answers you may already have answered previously. Is there a workaround it? This applies to AT Viewer as well as AT

• December 1, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Hi, yes, use your browser’s search option.

15. December 1, 2015 at 4:56 pm

I am using Dropbox to synchronise between iPhone & iPad. I am using AT Viewer to look at it on the Mac. Am I right in assuming that AT Viewer only looks at iCloud for the latest backup, because it says the iCloud backup is very old. and I have to do File Open Recent to open the latest backup. Can I backup on Dropbox and the iCloud to get over this? I like using the Dropbox for syncing as it is always Fault Free, as you have suggested many a times. It is just remembering to do File Open Recent overtime and I sometimes forget.

• December 1, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Hi, it can only look at iCloud, because Apple doesn’t allow direct access to the file system without user intervention. There is nothing to stop you copying a backup file to iCloud first.

16. Graham Wales
    December 1, 2015 at 8:56 am

Hi Graham, I am sorry to trouble you but I have a minor issue with ATB viewer which I cannot resolve.

Early in November I entered a transaction in account tracker via my iPad, which I subsequently deleted. The delete was actioned on my iPad and iPhone, but remains on the ATB viewer on my MAC Book. Is there a way that will allow me to rectify this imbalance?

I have also noticed that the sync log states that 7 sync files were ignored, but I cannot see any other incorrect entries.

All my devices are running the latest version of your app and the latest versions of Apple software, and I am using iCloud Drive.

• December 1, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hi Graham, see my support page for Account Tracker where the iCloud issue about ignored sync files is explained. Once you have corrected that, the Mac should correctly pick up your changes.

17. Michael Grange
    November 10, 2015 at 10:15 am

Hello Graham
    Yes you’re right of course. I’ve spotted that the entry for 01/05/2015 was put in separately and not part of the series although it fell within the series dates.
    Thanks for your quick responce again.
    Many thanks

18. Michael Grange
    November 10, 2015 at 9:24 am

Hello Graham
    I’ve notice a little issue with the displayed list of recurring transactions in the ATB Viewer. Whilst the monthly transaction appears in the accounts list I find it does not appear in the recurring list. All other transactions for this particular monthly recurring event are displayed it’s just that one transaction is missing (i.e the month of May 2015). Should I try deleting it on the App & then re-enter it. Has this issue come up before ?
    Many thanks

• November 10, 2015 at 9:47 am

Hi Michael, what does it show on iOS? They should be the same. Chances are that one off is not part of your series, it was copied and edited rather than the occurrence being edited.

19. Michael Grange
    November 3, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Hi Graham, thanks for the quick reply. I understand.
    Many thanks.

20. Michael Grange
    November 3, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Hello Graham. I have loaded ATB Viewer onto my Mac, all synced up ok. I then hid some accounts on my devices as they had zero balances (closed acc’s) but the ATB Viewer still shows them in the account list. I’m not sure what the show/hide buttons above the main view in ATB Viewer are for, but the accounts still remain. Thanks
    Along with other postings I’m very impressed with this excellent App, thank you & good luck.

• November 3, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Hi Michael, accounts can’t be hidden on the Mac, only groups and the sections on the left hand pane (i.e. collapsed and expanded). This is covered in the built in help (see the Help menu), as is the show/hide buttons and what they are for.

21. Roger
    September 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Hi Graham, I’m a long term user of AT across IPad & iPhone, fantastic app undoubtedly. Purchased a MacBook yesterday, and this morning purchased ATB Viewer.

Unfortunately when I open ATBV it opens the “Open Backup File” window but doesn’t see any files in ICloud, (I’m not using ICloud Drive yet).

Opening ICloud on the MacBook it sees the backup files OK so I guess that confirms the same account is shared across all devices.

If you have any ideas to help resolve that would be great.

Thanks again for the best personal finance app on the market, and I hope the purchases of ATB Viewer grow sufficiently for you to develop this into the full app similar to mobile devices.

Roger

• September 5, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hi Roger, if it is a new Mac it will be running Yosemite or later. This only supports iCloud Drive, not iCloud. You will need to upgrade to iCloud Drive on all devices for this to work.

• Roger
        September 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Thanks so much Graham, as always a very very fast response within 5 minutes this time is just amazing. All working now, I guess I was assuming that since Yosemite had apparently ALLOWED me to continue using ICloud that it should work OK.

I think I may have expressed my opinion on funding previously but I’ll add it again. The FREE version of AT is FAR TOO GOOD to be a free app. I’m sure if you could somehow limit it’s usage (by volume of transactions or by time perhaps) that many of your free version users would then upgrade to the paid AT.

Keep up the great work PLEASE.

Roger

• September 5, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Hi Roger, I used to do that but thought I’d give something back to those people who might not be able to afford a full priced app. I guess I am appealing to people’s better nature that if they make good use of my software, they will buy it (eventually).

22. June 13, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hi Graham, no syncing since yesterday. Tried many times with cellular and wifi. Yes I close app and ‘swipe’ off on I phone. Tried a back up and restarted iPhone and Mac. Still no syncing. iCloud status says ‘no issues’. No settings on phone have been changed and I’ve used this great app for a very long time. Any ideas or any known issue at moment? Help appreciated.

• June 13, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Hi Philip, I am not aware of any iCloud issues, other than occasional delays propagating files between devices. Usual fix with iOS issues is to reboot your device. Also try backing up to see if the file makes it to your other device(s). Syncing can’t work at all if the most basic iCloud functionality isn’t working.

23. Tony Colin
    June 10, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for bringing the subject up again Jeremy! I already donated £25 to try and encourage Graham to keep moving on this. Maybe if we offered to “buy” the development – for a subsequent slice of the action of course!

24. Jeremy Sharam
    June 10, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I really hope you get the support to develop this on the Mac – I have all IOS versions and I bought the Mac viewer to support you – in case it helps your planning I’d pay £25 for the Mac version. I wonder how big the market on the Mac could be – it could bring customers in for the IOS version too. I guess it is a difficult call to judge where your volume may settle at – but I know when I first got the Mac I spent ages looking for a decent solution like yours.

25. Michael Cayley
    May 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I think Account Tracker is by far the best personal finance software for iPad. Like one or two others, I have bought ATB Viewer mainly to encourage you to develop a full-fledged version for Mac.

26. March 29, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Hi Graham, for some time now if I enter transactions while connected to web using cellular data via iPhone they have not synced with ATB viewer on Mac. I have to connect to home wi-fi and open and close AT and it syncs immediately. Any idea as to why this happens? It is every time.
    Regards, Philip Woods

• March 29, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Hi Philip, that’s the way it works. Transactions are only ever loaded into the backup viewer when you first launch it. To pick up new transactions you have to close it down and re-launch.

• March 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I understand that Graham, I’ve used and enjoyed this app for a very long time. I am saying that if I do as you describe connected to home wifi it works. If connected via cellular it does not. EG: iPhone connected to web via cellular data, enter transaction in shop and close app, go home hours later, not synced. Connect to home wi-fi, open and close app – synced!

• March 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Assuming you have my app configured to use cellular data (otherwise it won’t push the changes to iCloud until it connects by WiFi), then what you are seeing is just iCloud being slow.

27. Richard
    March 29, 2015 at 8:48 am

Hi Graham. I am only just moving from Windows PC to Mac. Had enough of Windows. Was using MS Money for years (since Money 2000) until it just got way too creaky through old age. Then got into iPad and like the convenience of doing key domestic stuff on that device but I want to use my account software with a spreadsheet (Numbers or Excel) and I find Numbers on iPad really hard work. So I would prefer to get all onto Mac. Discovered and bought Account Tracker for iPad after trying a few similar. Have also got your meter reads bundled. Account Tracker is simply the best personal finance software on iPad getting balance right between simplicity, functionality and reliability. Have now just come across ATB viewer for Mac and downloaded it. But at present, I doubt that I’ll use it much as I really want the transaction functionality on whatever device I use for my finances. Also I’m not comfortable with storing my personal finances on the cloud (call me old fashioned) so have to sync by backup file transfer.

So I have bought ATB viewer really only because I certainly want to encourage you to develop it for Mac …. I hope you do that soon but know that you can’t promise to. Perhaps you will be able to prioritise making transactional functionality available? Reporting, graphics etc. not so useful to me at least because I use Numbers for forecasting etc.

Please do keep up the great work and I hope to see more functionality in OS X soon. Keep me posted. Thanks.

• March 29, 2015 at 9:17 am

Hi Richard, thanks. The current state of affairs is documented on my support page.

28. Michael Rapa
    March 18, 2015 at 3:58 am

I cannot believe you have not finished this yet I would have gladly paid for syncing version of ATB viewer and the iphone version, did you just loose interest this had so much potential without the mac version it is pretty useless at least to me it is i need to be able to pay bills and copy and paste the info from the bank to the note block its too bad completely disappointed.

• March 18, 2015 at 7:43 am

Michael, did you read the page you posted this from? Your question is answered there, under Frequently Asked Questions.

29. Zoe
    March 8, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Can I print a reort to PDF from ATB viewer? That’s the only real reason I have for buying the viewer, otherwise the iPad app works fine for me. Thanks for such a sweet and affordable app!

• March 8, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Hi Zoe, no, only from iOS.

30. Andrea
    February 24, 2015 at 11:17 am

Hi Graham, I’ve the iOS version with iCloud Personal Synch purchased (and iCloud and Syncing options on) and ATB on OS X.
    ATB viewer is only capable of opening manual backups and not the sync-file, neither it seems to apply the synced changes to the backup file as stated in the ATB Help “It will automatically load your latest backup from iCloud, and apply recent changes if using iCloud syncing”.
    Can you tell me where I’m doing it wrong?

• February 24, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Hi Andrea, my backup viewer tells you which file it has picked up in the title bar, plus number of sync changes. If it isn’t picking up the latest, chances are you are not using iCloud or iCloud Drive on all devices. So for example if you are running Yosemite, this only supports iCloud Drive so you need to be using that on your other devices. iCloud is not supported on Yosemite.

31. John
    February 23, 2015 at 10:39 am

Hi Graham, does the ATB Viewer app have printing functionality – or is that just done through .pdf exports from the iOS app?

• February 23, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi John, not specifically, other than taking screenshots.

32. Chris
    January 14, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I am unfortunately replacing a long used money app and am looking at purchasing your app. I was wondering if it would be possible to have account categories and icons for the apps to help differentiate them on the account screen? Thanks in advance for your reply. I will say it’s refreshing to have found your app without the clutter and visual assaults of many of the other apps in this field.

• January 14, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Hi Chris, you can put accounts into separate groups and do it that way. Note that you posted your question on my Mac app page. This is just a backup viewer for my iOS app.

• Christopher Nestrick
        January 15, 2015 at 1:06 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I noticed I was on the wrong app after I posted, sorry. I’m loving the app. The groups worked perfectly (actually better than Pocket Money, icons would be nice but not a big deal). 2 other initial requests:
        Can the time be added to the transaction date field? Or some other way to order the transactions how you want them
        How does the reconcile option work? Pocket Money had a ‘posted’ switch so you could say this item had posted on your actual account. It was helpful to keep app in sync with true balance.

Thanks again for an outstanding app. It was a great find and purchase.

Regards,
        Chris

• January 15, 2015 at 7:28 am

Hi Chris, transactions are ordered by date, plus using the day order setting. Please read the user guide where there is an entire section on reconciling.

33. Ken Maynard
    October 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

OK, but I think your mac app used to find the newest .atb file and use that, but it doesn’t any more. Is that fixable? And – while I am writing – how’s the fully fledged mac app coming on? Looking forward to that!

• October 23, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Hi, sadly a full Mac app is not currently a viable proposition with so few people interested. If that changes I will certainly push ahead with it. But at the current rate, it is quite a way off. 😦

• Thomas
        December 11, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Hi,

Just returned to the iOS app after buying a month or so ago, starting to really like it, great work. I am sad to see that the full OS X version isn’t a viable proposition. If you could develop an OS X version of the iOS app I would certainly be willing to pay for it! Have you got some form of sign up list?

T

• December 11, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Hi Thomas, no, I am judging it based on the number of people buying my Mac backup viewer. Once enough people buy this, it will be a more viable proposition for everyone.

• Ken
            December 12, 2014 at 2:12 am

But it could be that the backup viewer doesn’t provide enough for people to want to buy it, yet they would buy a fully-fledged OSX version of ATB.

• December 12, 2014 at 7:45 am

Hi Ken, it could be, yes. But if everyone thinks that way, there simply won’t be a full Mac version. I have already stated that the purchase cost will be discounted by the amount of the backup viewer, so you are getting the current app for free in the end. It’s really down to my users here. If you want a full Mac version, buy my backup viewer. Otherwise you will have a very (very) long wait, at least a year or two at the current rate.

• December 19, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I’ve been using the iOS app for 4 years and I loved it so much, I am not willing to fully move to Android so I am still stuck with my old iOS device.

I too was worried about having to buy another full version with full price. This is a great app, and I am sure people are eagerly waiting for the full version. Probably you could make it more obvious on https://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts-mac/ that the full version is discounted if someone has already purchased the viewer?

• December 19, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Hi Ady, I have made that bit of the page bold, to make it more obvious.

34. Ken Maynard
    October 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Have now got Yosemite on my mac and am moving back from Dropbox sync to iCloud. I can only get mac to sync by entering ATBviewer – File – Open. Here’s where I don’t understand. The open dialog shows iCloud-ATB Viewer at the top. If I do OPEN, it shows iCloud Drive (with nothing in it) or a folder Payments with the backups from the iPhone at the same level as Drive, i.e. not inside it. If I select the .atb file, it syncs OK, but nothing is automatic like it was before iCloud Drive. That is, if I do another backup on the phone, I have to manually select it with ATBViewer to sync.

iPhone4S is IOS8.1. iCloud is set to iCloud Drive on, with Accounts enabled. Accounts is V4.4. I have set Dropbox off, iCloud on. Personal sync is greyed out but selected. If Sync is on, I can see the .sync file in the Payments folder under ATBviewer, but it is greyed out and apparently not read by ATBviewer. Help! (Great program btw!)

Drive apparently works OK. I have set up a test folder, and can put arbitrary documents in it which are visible on all devices, even a PC.

• October 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hi Ken, my Mac app can only read backup files with the atb suffix. iCloud Drive is completely different to iCloud and it’s not really supported, at least until I can see what they have done. Looks like they have moved everything around, which is not really that helpful (thanks Apple!).

• December 20, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hi Ken, I upgraded to iCloud Drive a few weeks ago and it is working fine for me. My Mac app can pick up the backup files automatically, and sync changes are applied. I know Apple fixed a bunch of issues in iOS 8.1.1 and 8.1.2, perhaps something there changed things.

35. John Barksdale
    October 17, 2014 at 1:31 am

Graham,
    Since I installed IOS 8 on my iphone and ipad and enable iCloud Drive, the syncing between those two has been fine. I now have Yosemite on my iMac and my ATB Viewer still doesn’t synch. Any ideas?

• October 17, 2014 at 8:10 am

Hi John, have you enabled iCloud Drive on your Mac (it isn’t turned in automatically). If so have you made a new backup and checked whether it appears on your Mac (see iCloud under System Preferences)?

36. Philip Woods
    October 13, 2014 at 10:23 am

Hi Graham, entered transactions yesterday on iPad are not showing in ATB viewer. Have opened and ‘quit’ both several times. Have also made usual weekly back up.
    Is there a known temporary problem?
    Regards,
    Philip

• October 13, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hi Philip, from your other message, the issue is you have enabled iCloud Drive. This moves all your files to this new system and makes them unavailable to all devices not using iCloud Drive. You can’t go back unfortunately, and you will be stuck until you upgrade to OS X Yosemite.

37. Ken Maynard
    October 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Have reverted to Dropbox sync until Yosemite comes out for Macs to fix the iCloud incompatibility problem. It’s less convenient but will do as a workaround.

38. Steve Russell
    September 30, 2014 at 8:33 am

Hi Graham
    I have been using Accounts Tracker for many years on an iPhone but have just purchased a Macbook Pro with Mavericks. I have purchased your ATB viewer today but am not not seeing any backups on iCloud.
    I have been though your checklist above and I have Documents & Data checked as well as ATB Viewer listed and checked. I have Account Tracker listed in iCloud, when I go through System Preferences, select iCloud and select Manage I am not seeing any backups. I see ‘The documents stored inside ATB Viewer take up 1.2 MB. Use OS X Yosemite or iOS 8 to manage your documents’. I have upgraded my iPhone to iOS 8.
    Any thoughts?

• September 30, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hi Steve, like it says you need to use OS X Yosemite as iCloud Drive on iOS 8 is not compatible with any shipping version of OS X.

39. Mark Sharples
    September 23, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Graham, I am having problems with picking up my most recent iCloud backup file on ATB Viewer for Mac.

ATB Viewer seems to be stuck with one from June 2014 and now I am receiving a warning telling me that the backup is too old to support iCloud syncing. I have created a new backup on my iOS device tonight and previous days recently but the Viewer still seems to want to keep hold of one in June. One possible issue that I haven’t explored fully is whether I am exporting my most recent backup to iCloud as the warning I am getting in the Viewer is telling me to do, I am not sure how I would do that.

I have been though your checklist above and I have Documents & Data checked as well as ATB Viewer listed and checked. I have Account Tracker listed in iCloud when I go through System Preferences, select iCloud and select Manage but I am not seeing any backups. I see ‘The documents stored inside ATB Viewer take up 3.6 MB. Use OS X Yosemite or iOS 8 to manage your documents’. I have upgraded both my iPhone and iPad to iOS 8 but I am still using Mavericks on my Mac.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

• September 23, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Hi Mark, almost certainly you have “upgraded” to iCloud Drive. This is not supported on anything other than iOS 8. You will have to wait until Yosemite I guess.

40. ODOLIYI LOLOMARI
    August 2, 2014 at 2:16 am

The highest figure entered under Transaction was 21,000,000. How can one go round this limitation please?

• August 2, 2014 at 8:40 am

Hi, there are some restrictions like this in my iOS versions, but not on the Mac (since you can’t edit).

41. David
    June 13, 2014 at 11:50 am

Hi Graham, Mac App looks good so far. My only comment would be whether there is the possibility to have a security timeout like in the iOS version. It makes you enter the password for the backup file when opening originally i just wondered if it could / does need the option that when leaving the machine for an extended period it asks again? Cheers.

• June 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Hi David, on the Mac it’s so much easier to launch an app that I figured people would just close the app when they were finished with it (command Q). You can keep the app icon on your dock.

42. Ian H
    February 15, 2014 at 12:02 am

Hi Graham, just a quick question about groups from ios transferring over to ITB. I’ve recently added 4 new accounts and assigned them to the appropriate groups I’ve set up. When I go on to ATB Viewer they show in the top-most group rather than the ones I’ve allocated them to in the ios app. Also I’ve deleted an account from a group in the ios app but it’s still present on ATB Viewer. Is there any way to correct these in ATB Viewer? The deleted account is the biggest issue as I’ve replaced it with a stocks account, and because I can’t delete the account I used to manually track the stocks in on ATB the balance of my shares is double counted. I’ve tried deleting and re-installing the ATB app but it hasn’t solved it. Thanks.

• February 15, 2014 at 9:06 am

Hi Ian, yes, this is nothing to do with my Mac app, it’s the way syncing works between iOS devices (as documented https://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts/syncing/). You just need to make a new backup and the Mac app will pick up your changes.

43. sam
    February 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm

atb worked perfectly the first time i opened it on my mac. it found the latest back up and all was displayed. however subsequently when i have tried to click on the icon on my mac, nothing happens? am i missing something? i have restarted my mac etc but nothing. please help thanks

• February 9, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hi Sam, did you close the app fully before restarting it? Command Q.

44. Adrian Mead
    February 9, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi
    Have been using your iOS versions for quite a while and just bought the ATB version for Mac but having problems. I can load my file from Dropbox and the primary account details appear in the right hand frame. If I select other headings e.g. “REPORTS” from the left hand menu the application stops running and will not allow me to do anything. I then have to close it and reload the file again from Dropbox. It consistently behaves in this way.

Do I need to purchase another app for my iOS devices in order to use iCloud for Accounts Tracker. I already use iCloud for all my backups from other apps.

• February 9, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Hi Adrian, this is a know issue that is documented on my support page. The fix is waiting in Apple’s review queue.

45. Geoff Bunyan
    January 30, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Tracker fine even for an 87yr old! Silly question but could Tracker be used with a tiny portfolio of unit trusts? Just basic tracking of costs and then monthly valuations of unit values and current worth totals. Perhaps by customizing a New Account in some way? Thank you for any possible ideas. Geoff

• January 30, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Hi Geoff, unfortunately Yahoo don’t fully support looking up fund values, otherwise this would be very easy to do.

46. January 28, 2014 at 7:04 am

Looks good, having used iOS version for over 2 yrs now it would be good to have some average reports, so average spend per month or year with a comparison against actual so I could see trends…

• January 28, 2014 at 7:17 am

Hi Iain, yes there are lots of things that could be done. For now I am just using the same functionality that is in my iOS app.

47. Jon Short
    January 27, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Hi Graham.
    Im loving your work. I have been using the account tracker app on both my iPhone and iPad for a number of years now and Im so happy it is finally coming to the mac.
    Quick question….. If I pay the £4.99 now will i have to pay again when the full mac version is released or will it be £4.99?

• January 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Hi Jon, the full mac version will be a separate app and will cost more. However I will almost certainly discount it for a short while when it is launched, for those people who buy both apps. I am using ATB Viewer to get something useful out there now for people to use, and to gather input that might help influence my full version.

• Jonah
        November 8, 2014 at 8:40 am

Hi when you say “Almost certainly discount” this does not sound like an absolute decision as of yet. I have the iOS version and am keen to purchase this one as well. However I am also cautious that I buy this today and in the future have to pay again, at greater cost, or to simply wait and pay the new price. Do you as of yet have any pricing figures in your head? Also do you have any target dates for the full mac version?

• November 8, 2014 at 9:34 am

Hi Jonah, absolutely you will have to pay again – I am not a charity! My original intention was to sell the full app for £15 but discount it by the £5 it costs for my backup viewer. But with so few people supporting this effort (based on sales of my backup viewer), that is simply not a viable proposition. Currently I would have to charge well in excess of £50 per user to break even, which is clearly a non-starter. So I am simply waiting until I get enough users to bring the price down to a more realistic level. I am 2/3rds of the way there after 10 months of sales. If you want a full Mac version of my app, its up to you …

48. Steve Nugent
    January 14, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Just a small query… on iOS there is the Today balance on all Accounts (Hide or Show), is this functionality being added later on Mac or is it somewhere on the viewer I haven’t yet found?
    Best wishes
    Steve

• January 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Hi Steve, you can change the balance type from the View menu (today, available, minimum and reconciled). Hiding individual accounts is not supported in the Mac version, since you can close whole account groups (i.e. hide them in a different way).

49. January 13, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Bingo! Documents and Data were not checked – dunno why! All good now – thanks!

50. Tony Colin
    January 13, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Graham. I spent ten minutes carefully creating a query and then your form (below) binned it all and threw me out! It was to tell you that I have the new app working perfectly on my Mac Mini, but when I try on my Macbook, I just get and open file dialog and cannot find a .atb file anywhere (only .bak ones in Dropbox). Any ideas what I am doing wrong, please?

• January 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Hi Tony, sorry about the form – FWIW I got both posts. Most likely your MacBook isn’t set up to use iCloud? Have you checked in System Preferences under iCloud? Is Documents & Data on, and is ATB Viewer listed? Under Manage is Account Tracker one of the listed apps?