Support (Meter Readings)

mricon57

Thank you for visiting my support page for Meter Readings.

Before asking a question, PLEASE check the Known Issues and Frequently Asked Questions sections below. Also read/refer to the built in User Guide (tap the Settings icon). It only takes ONE question during the lifetime of an app to wipe out any and all profit from you as a user. 😦

Known Issues – version 4.3.1

4.3.1 was released on 10th February 2016, to fix a few minor bugs.

The following issues are not specific to my app itself …

If you have upgraded to iOS 9, it looks like Apple have deprecated support for the old iCloud in favour of iCloud Drive (just like they did in Yosemite on the Mac). If you haven’t yet upgraded but have iCloud enabled in my app, you might notice an error message about not being able to access iCloud. The only workaround is to move with the times and upgrade to iCloud Drive, however please note that older devices like the iPhone 4 can’t be upgraded to iOS 8 (a requirement for iCloud Drive).

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Android – I have no plans to support Android.

Meter settings and rates – tap the meters button at the top left of the main screen, then select the blue i button next to the meter you want to change. You might want to read this post for some getting started tips.

Readings only supported up to 99999.9 – if your meter supports more digits than the default 5.1 format, this can be changed in the meter settings (under Format).

Conversion factor for gas meters – on your bill, this can be quite complex, involving calorific values, volume corrections and divisions. However all you end up with is a single value that you have to multiply your metered units by to get to your billed units (typically kWh). You configure this single conversion factor on the meter settings screen. To calculate it from a bill, find out how many kWh you are being billed for, and how many units you used on your meter, then simply divide billed units by meter units. As an example, say you were billed for 8476 kWh and for this period you used 263 units on your meter. Dividing 8476 by 263 gives you a conversion factor of 32.2281369. In other words every unit on your meter is 32.2281369 kWh.

Changing a gas meter from ft3 to m3 – please see this post for two ways to handle this.

Water and sewerage/waste water rates – it is quite common that both of these are billed against the same meter, however sewerage is charged at a reduced percentage (say 95%) of your water usage. The way to handle this in the app is simply to have a single reading and a single rate, but you should add your water rate to 95% of your sewerage rate (or whatever the percentage is). Believe me, this just works. 🙂

Solar, PV and wind meters – these are no different from a normal Electricity meter (they count and they have rates), however the terminology is different. For example you tend to use generation vs usage and credit vs cost. To use these different terms, simply set your meter type to Solar or Wind.

Feed in tariffs – in the UK, you earn a fixed amount per unit generated, plus a smaller amount (3.1p?) based on 50% of these units. Since 3.1p for 50% of your units is the same as 1.55p for 100% of your units, simply adjust your main rate by 1.55p. Note that there are a couple of ways to do this, e.g. use one meter with multiple readings for both usage and generation, or use two separate meters. If using separate meters, you might have to enter your electricity readings twice, once for usage and a second time to calculate your feed in tariff.

The app and my bills don’t agree – since the app works in seconds between readings, it can often be a lot more accurate than your bill, however if it is significantly different, chances are you have not set something up correctly. The most common errors are: gas conversion factor; rates being entered in £ rather than pence; a rate change has been added and the app is using a previous set of rates. If you have checked all of these, and still can’t figure out what is wrong, please get in touch!

Bar charts vs line graphs – you can’t choose between the two, the app decides which is best based on the number of points on the graph. So you might start off with bar charts, but eventually (when you add enough readings) it will switch to a line graph.

Exporting readings – this can be done from the Readings screen. Just select the Compose button at the bottom right.

Replacement meters – if you get a new meter, simply enter a final reading on your old meter, then an initial reading on your new meter (even if this is non-zero). On this initial reading, turn on the New Meter switch when adding the reading (or go back and edit it from the Readings screen). The app will then ignore the difference between these two readings in any calculations.

Opening backup files on a computer or from Dropbox – backup files are not designed to be opened by anything other than the app itself. If you want to look at your data on a computer, you can export it in CSV format from the Readings screen (see above).

Restoring the Power/Pro User upgrades – if you bought my app prior to February 2012, you won’t be able to restore these “purchases” from the AppStore, simply because you never bought them in the first place. You inherited this functionality from before they were introduced. The only way to restore them is to actually restore a backup made from when you had access to these features. Without the Power User upgrade, the only way to restore a backup is to upload it over WiFi – see the documentation on backups for details.

All Other Questions

If you can’t find an answer to your question above, please send me an email and I will respond to you as quickly as I can.

Note that I previously used the comments section below for questions, however after 7 years I have decided it doesn’t work very well (at all!). Far too many people were failing to sign up for responses or they were mistyping their email addresses causing responses to bounce.

Let’s see if the email option works any better …

1. Tony
    April 26, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Hi, my back ups seem to have been corrupted. Any way to retrieve the data?

• April 26, 2016 at 7:14 pm

What error message is the app giving when you try to restore one?

2. Rinus Dobbelsteen
    April 22, 2016 at 8:33 am

Adding new meter readings has been changed recently. The new readings have to be added with the keyboard after removing the old readings. The date can be changed easily with a roll bar.

• April 22, 2016 at 8:37 am

You have changed your settings to use the keyboard for readings, so just change it back. Note that you never have to remove old readings unless of course you want to.

3. Klaus Blank
    April 16, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Since my recent iOS upgrade the torch does not switch on when performong meter readings. Any idea how to solve the problem?

• April 16, 2016 at 4:51 pm

You need to give the app access to your camera in the main iOS privacy settings.

4. March 20, 2016 at 6:22 am

Graham, great app! My electricity supplier has a meter with 4 inputs, for normal domestic use there is peak, shoulder and off peak and then for hot water a seperate off peak. Is there a way of adding an additional input, IE. R1+R2+R3+R4? I have currently set up two seperate meters so I can track it; I just would like to see the costs as a single total as my actual bill comes that way.
    Thanks, Alex.

• March 20, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately you need to use 2 or more meters. Sorry.

5. March 19, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Very nice app. Bought it and filled in all my meters (Electricity, water, gas and solar power).
    However, i’m missing one thing. Maybe something for an update.

When you have solar power and elektricity (intake and return) for both day and night, it’s worthwhile to have two graphics:

1) => Real used electricity = E in-day + E in-night + Solar – E return-day – E return-night
    This tells you something about the performance of your appliances and chances of saving costs

2) => Electricity billing = E in-day + E in-night – E return-day – E return-night
    This gives insight in the bill to be expected

Your current system only allow meters with R1 + R2 or R1 – R2 or Day + Night counters
    Í dont’t see any way to accomplish my calculations.
    Could it be possible to create calculated meters, where you can use other meters values as input in a free defineable calculation?
    Would be great if such a thing could be possible. A step forward!

Anyway . . . keep up the good work.
    Best Regards,
    Hans Verheul

• March 20, 2016 at 3:10 pm

It’s possible but that would be a lot of work!

• March 21, 2016 at 7:03 am

I understand. Keep it in mind for future a update. It’s highly reccomendable for the European market, because the number of households with solar power is increasing rapidly and energy companies here use that method of ballancing to determine the bill.

It is somewhat a short term problem for me, because with the current meters in the app I do not have sufficient insight into the billing and real consumption.
        Is it possible to export the meter data from your app, so I can import the numbers into for instance Excel and do the calculation there?
        I tried reading your .bak file into Excel, but that clearly doesn’t work.

Best regards,
        Hans Verheul

• March 21, 2016 at 11:09 am

I am in Europe (UK) and energy companies here generally don’t distinguish between day and night. Yes you can export readings, see the user guide under Readings and Bills.

• March 22, 2016 at 1:45 pm

In Holland, energy companies do distinguish between day and night. First of all, the tarif paid for nighttime energy is less then the tarif for daytime elektricity. Secondly solar power is settled with day time deliveries first. So when you produce (return) 4000 kW and you take in 5000 kW (3000 kW at day and 2000 kW at night), then the resulting bill is 1000 kW against night time tarif.

Thanks for the advice regarding the csv export. Found it, however it keeps warning for incorrect mail setup. I’m using the app on an iPad (3) that has no mail capabilities. It’s just connected to my WiFi network and mails are all received on my PC in outlook.
            I did fill in a valid e-mail address, but the warning still keeps appearing.

• March 23, 2016 at 7:14 am

All iOS devices have email capabilities, you just need to set it up with your service provider details (server, username and password). You can’t send emails without doing this.

• March 23, 2016 at 7:40 am

Of course I know that iOS devices have e-mailing capability. I meant it’s not setup with e-mail, because I don’t use the iPad to e-mail. I do that solely on my PC (and I am not about to change that).
                Why can’t the application simply save the .csv file?
                If you can e-mail it, you can also save it.

• March 23, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Because I don’t support that. If you want to export a CSV file you have to set up email on your device. If you are not prepared to do that then you can’t export your data.

• March 23, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Wow. A little (customer) friendliness doesn’t hurt anyone. Is this your normal way of reacting to people in general, or just to paying customers?

• March 23, 2016 at 2:33 pm

You asked why the the app can’t do something. I am just saying that it doesn’t support what you want and to export readings as a CSV file you need to be able to send email. If you are not prepared to do that (which is exactly what you said), I am not sure what else you expect me to do for you?

6. Michael Belas
    February 28, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Hi Graham, used your accounts app for quite a while. Great product. Just purchased this meters app. Looking at the rates, I can’t see where to enter the standung charge per day. Have I missed it.
    Many thanks, Michael

• February 28, 2016 at 4:24 pm

In the meter settings. Standing charge is a time-based rate.

7. Rehan Mahmood Alvi
    February 27, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Hi Graham ..

Great app! Loving it and really saving from it 🙂

Want some guidance as I’m not being able to figure out how to get stepped gas rates correct. If you can please check out the link of my gas supplier which shows their tariff rates (http://www.ssgc.com.pk/web/?page_id=103) and guide me how to go about it, I will be really grateful

Obliged 🙂

• February 27, 2016 at 10:14 pm

You can set this up easily enough using stepped rates, however the app won’t change the amount for all units used in a calendar month. For a start it doesn’t use the calendar at all, just the time difference between ratings. Also if you enter a stepped rate, the lower amount will apply for the first N units. You could perhaps choose the rate depending on your expected usage?

• Maj Rehan Mahmood Alvi
        February 28, 2016 at 6:01 am

I’ve been trying to cook up a formula that caters for the higher rate for initial n units consumed but so far no breakthrough.
        Also, I’m currently adding monthly rate depending upon expected usage but that’s giving me some tough time …

Will be great if little relevant tweaks can be added to next ver update including following:
        1. Option to apply higher slab rate to all units including initial n and so on
        2. Per MMBTU charging and some method (catering for variable GCV, etc) to convert consumed cubic meters to MMBTU ..

Obliged 🙂

• February 28, 2016 at 8:13 am

You can easily set a conversion factor to convert between metered and billed units.

8. G Hogsten
    February 22, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Hello. I’m in the United States, I was wondering if this app can be used here, and can the settings be changed to USD? Thank you!

• February 22, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Yes, the app is pretty universal. You can change the currency per meter to whatever you want.

9. Marco
    February 18, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Hi,

Now i see the cost not kWh usage.
    Can i change that?

Regards Marco

• February 18, 2016 at 8:34 pm

On an iPhone or iPod, you switch between the two by double tapping on the graph. On an iPad you always see both graphs.

10. February 16, 2016 at 10:33 am

Graham! Definitely love the app on my iphone. It’s clear, uncluttered, and easy to use. If you promise me to port this thing to the Apple Watch soon, I’ll donate straight away 😉

• February 16, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Not sure what you would use a watch version of Meter Readings for. It is not a great input device and the screen size is too small to see your data.

• February 16, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I’ve been using the watch for quite some time now, and it is actually great to register simple information, like metre readings.

• February 16, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I am not convinced. If you ever see me adding input support to my Accounts app on the watch, perhaps I will consider it then.

11. hubi75
    February 15, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Thank you for your wonderful app. I use this daily. to watch my gas consumption, it would be great to record the outside temperature in the app, so I see the connection on particularly cold days.

A Little chance for Integration?

• February 15, 2016 at 8:39 pm

There is nothing to stop you creating a meter for temperature and plotting in in the same way as other meters. The app can’t do this automatically as there is no reliable worldwide source of temperature that is freely accessible. Most services are quite expensive.

• Hubi75
        February 15, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I Test it, but how can i Record minus Celsius? Which Settings ob the new Meter Must be set?
        I recorded manually:-)

• February 15, 2016 at 8:50 pm

You can’t. Set your meter direction to other and use Kelvin?

• Hubi75
            February 15, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Meter Direktion is other, but Kelvin is not found (Type=other) – in recording isnt negative Symbol

• February 15, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Not the meter type, the units you are entering. If you don’t know what Kelvin is try Googling. 🙂

• Hubi75
                February 15, 2016 at 9:12 pm

😉 Kelvin is now definied, but negative Numbers are not work

• February 15, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Sigh. There is no such thing as a negative temperature on the Kelvin scale … it goes from 0 upwards.

• Hubi75
                    February 15, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Ok, so i measure Outside the app the temperature😭 Thanks dir your Support👍🏻

12. Steve Inglis
    February 14, 2016 at 10:32 am

Hi. Just got an iPad how can I move my data from iPhone to iPad do I need to do it through the iTunes I have backed up file but cannot see how to move file. To ipad

• February 14, 2016 at 10:55 am

See the user guide section on backups where this is explained in detail.

13. Sue Lees
    February 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

My iPad is stuck on uploading the latest update. So I can’t access it at all. Concerned I can’t get to my data and looks like the only solution is to delete and re download. But that means I will lose all my data. Please advise. Ipad 2 with up to date iOS.

• February 14, 2016 at 8:32 am

This is an Apple issue and nothing to do with my app (which isn’t even running). It is sometimes caused by other updates being stuck too, preventing progress. All I can suggest is contacting Apple or trying Google to see if there is a solution. Perhaps powering your device off and on again might help?

14. Eugene McArdle
    February 12, 2016 at 1:20 am

Hi Graham, love the app on iOS. Is there a way of having a reading that is calculated from the difference between two meters? For example, Solar Production-Solar Export. This would show how much of my solar I actually use, without having to manually calculate it. (I know, lazy😊)

• February 12, 2016 at 7:38 am

Yes, but only within the same meter. Just change the meter type to one with two readings, then use the most relevant option.

15. Jenna
    February 8, 2016 at 10:23 am

Hi Graham

The gas price comparison works fine but for some reason when I try to use the electric one I get a message that says something like:

This feature only works for Gas & Electric meters with GBP & UK postcode and you need two sets of reading.

I’ve got four bill readings in the app for electricity & my details are the same as the gas one so I’m not sure why it’s not working. Is there anything obvious that I might be doing wrong. I’ve been trough your user guide & can’t find the answer. Could it be because I’m on economy seven?

• February 8, 2016 at 10:07 pm

No, nothing to do with economy 7 (unless you have set it up with more than two readings). It is either your currency is not GBP, or it is not a valid postcode or your energy use is not considered domestic (i.e. it is too high).

• Jenna
        February 9, 2016 at 8:07 am

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the cut off, on an annual basis, for when it’s considered too high?

• February 11, 2016 at 8:22 am

I am not sure exactly, however I just checked the code and the error you are seeing is simply because the meter type isn’t set to Electricity or Gas, the currency of the meter is not GBP, your postcode is not set or you don’t yet have 2 or more readings.

16. February 7, 2016 at 8:36 am

Hello Graham, I’m using your app for several years now, with pleasure. Now in the app readings started in 2010, so measurements of 6 years in the display. Is there a maximum amount of years you can show in the display?

• February 7, 2016 at 8:51 am

No, not really. Are you seeing a problem?

• February 7, 2016 at 9:08 am

No, not at all. There are no problems; for me it’s better there is no maximum amount. I like to have a lot of information. Thanks for your quick reply, enjoy your day.

17. Daniel
    February 6, 2016 at 11:22 am

Feature Request:

Support for universal links / deep links.

It would be great to find the right meter with spotlight or ask siri to remind me on one meter.

best regards
    Daniel

• February 6, 2016 at 6:11 pm

After 5 minutes of searching, I am pretty sure my website can’t support them.

• Daniel
        February 6, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Mhmm I don’t know what a website has to do with it. Evtl. I messed up some things.

I found a link for what I mean:
        View story at Medium.com

• February 6, 2016 at 7:23 pm

You have to install a file on your website to support universal links, and I can’t do that with WordPress.

18. Trevor
    February 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Can you help with supporting an exiting user for Meters.

I’ve got a new device but the power user button does nothing. (iPhone 6)

Thanks.

• February 2, 2016 at 8:18 pm

What do you mean “it does nothing”? If it is ON, then you have purchased it. You can’t turn it off because you can’t un-purchase something. If it is OFF then turning it on lets you buy or restore your purchase.

19. tomwalsh77
    February 2, 2016 at 4:12 pm

I’ve setup the app and the settings seem to be correct. I’ve taken two readings of both the gas and the electric meter a week apart and the electricity cost per day seems about right but the gas seems wrong and far too cheap. Any ideas where I may have gone wrong?

• February 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Have you entered a conversion factor? Gas meters typically measure in ft3 or m3 but your rates are per-kWh. This is all covered in the user guide. Finally you need to check your rates, as gas tends to be very cheap per unit.

20. Steve Thomas
    February 1, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Hi I have a new meter which is now reading in cubic meters rather than cubic feet. I have tried to use the new meter tab, and then adjust the conversion factor, however this effects all previous readings. I have resorted to creating a new meter but this obvious doesn’t have the benefit of the previous data. If there a way to update my old meter settings.

• February 1, 2016 at 7:29 pm

You need to use a new meter. The only other way is to not use the conversion factor at all (i.e. 1) and adjust all of your rates to be those for your metered units.

21. February 1, 2016 at 3:56 pm

We have a number of properties that we collect gas, electric and economy seven meter readings for each month on a paper form and then submit them to the relevant utility provider each month. we’ve just purchased an I Pad to remove the paper element, my question is can I collect the meter read data for each property on the app (via the I Pad) and then allow someone else to see this data ( my personal assistant). My PA submits the readings to the suppliers on my behalf, I would like to see the usage graphs month on month for each property, but ultimately the PA would need to see the readings enabling her to submit the reading to the provider.

Can the readings been seen via

1. Google Chrome or Explorer
    2. Another I Phone or I Pad
    3. Dropbox File

If we can achieve this, your app would solve the issue I’m currently experiencing and a solution would be great.

Paul

• February 1, 2016 at 7:32 pm

You would need the pro upgrade to track more than 9 meters, but yes you can export readings in CSV format by email. This is easy to import into a spreadsheet. See my website for details.

22. Neil K. Thomson
    January 27, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Hi,

I’ve set a reminder for 18:00 daily, but it never works. I’ve avoided running the app earlier in the day, as per the query below, to no avail. The app doesn’t even appear in the notifications section of settings. Where am I going wrong?

• January 27, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I have no idea, sounds like an iOS bug. The app should be listed on the setting screen itself (at the bottom). Select it and from there check your notification settings.

• Neil K. Thomson
        January 27, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Thanks for your reply. I tried that too, but the settings screen for Meters is completely empty!

• January 28, 2016 at 7:26 am

I just tested this and it works fine for me, however I think I know what the issue is. New app installs since iOS 8 require the app to register to post notifications. This somehow works if the app was installed earlier. I will fix this in my next update. Thanks!

• Rob
            February 2, 2016 at 10:06 am

Glad I checked here. I’m having the same issue. Looking forward to the update. Cheers.

23. steveparr8
    January 23, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Graham

I found the problem I had ‘new meter’ set against my second reading. All ok now. Really appreciate your help. This is a great app. I have readings going back over 23 years. Wonderful to see the trends in usage over all that time.

Kind regards

Steve

24. steveparr8
    January 23, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Hello Graham

I have just had a new meter installed. The old meter was in cubic imperial. Cubic feet
    The new one is in cubic meters

Do I need to set up set new gas meter or can I use the existing readings and say new meter?

• January 23, 2016 at 1:26 pm

You need to set up a new meter.

• steveparr8
        January 23, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Thanks. I have done that. I have set up the new meter, added a reading at zero and today’s reading of 51 cubic meters but it’s not showing any kWh used ?? Any ideas what I am doing wrong

• January 23, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Either you haven’t entered two readings, you are looking at the cost graph or you have set the conversion factor very low. Look at the readings screen itself to see the usage and cost between your readings. Also see the user guide for general help on my app.

25. Winston
    January 22, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I’d love integration with weather so temperature shows up in the graphs. It would be cool to have an outside temp graph to compare to my gas usage

• January 22, 2016 at 10:35 pm

How would you propose entering all that temperature information? If you expect the app to download it automatically, where do you think it could get this worldwide for free? Or are you expecting to sign up to a paid service somewhere?

• Uwatec
        January 24, 2016 at 8:14 pm

I’d suppose the iOS weather app but I’m not sure how that works. It Should get the average Temp for that day for that location i guess

• January 24, 2016 at 8:18 pm

My app has no access to the iOS weather app, nor the data it accesses.

26. Oleg
    January 18, 2016 at 7:29 am

The conversion factor on my gas bill changes every time. Is it possible to keep a history of them similar to changes in rates?

• January 18, 2016 at 7:37 am

No. This actually changes daily, it’s just your supplier averages it out. See the user guide for more details.

• Oleg
        January 18, 2016 at 8:20 am

Doesn’t this mean that the latest value is applied for all previous readings? Inability to store these values (even just between the bills) means that the history becomes inaccurate for comparison.

• January 18, 2016 at 8:24 am

The difference is negligible. This is all explained in the user guide.

27. January 11, 2016 at 9:10 am

Great app which I’ve used for many years but since upgrading to the latest versions of iOS and the app on a new iPhone 5S I can’t get the torch function to work when I’m talking meter readings. Am I missing something in the setup? It’s always worked before. Thanks.

• January 11, 2016 at 9:52 am

Almost certainly this is because you denied the app access to your camera (which it needs to turn on the light). You can enable it in the main settings app.

28. Rehan
    January 8, 2016 at 3:13 am

Hello sir. Hope you are fine. What a nice app you’ve come up with: Meter Readings. Bravo!

2 little queries though:

1. I get my gas bill tarrif which shows consumption in cu. meters and then converts them to MMBTU with GCV (variable according to temperature and pressure) factor and then applies bracketed rated per MMBTU. I can share a copy of my bill for ref of you want.

2. For a stepped rate setting, the app calculates the bill for each, say 100 units, then separately for the next, say 400 units and then adds them up. Whereas, my supply company simply shifts all units to the next upper bracket of say 400 units if my consumption is say 101 units that month in stead of billing for 100 at lower rate and 1 for higher rate. How to setup this scenario in the app?

Much obliged and best regards

• January 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Just divide your billed units by your meter units to give a conversion factor. Sounds like you have a weird tariff! If you are always over your 100 units, just enter the higher rate. Or see if you can figure out a better way to get a reasonable cost estimate.

29. Chris Ward
    January 4, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Hi Graham. I had a new gas meter installed in December 2015, but it records usage in kWh rather than cubic metres. I have adjusted my settings to show New Meter and changed the conversion factor to 1, but when I view the graphs or meter readings list it seems to have assumed that all my old readings were in kWh as well, so shows my usage to be much lower – e.g. Nov 2015 = 31kWh, cf December 2015 1495kWh. Have I done something wrong? I could delete the latest couple of readings and change my settings and conversion factors back to what they were before, but how do I get the app to apply the new settings just to the new meter readings and not the whole history of all the readings? Thanks for a great app, and great support when needed, by the way.

• January 4, 2016 at 7:45 pm

These are fundamentally different meters, so you need to add a new meter in the app (not reuse a different one).

30. Tim Leavey
    January 1, 2016 at 8:14 am

Happy new year I have had your app on my iPad for over two years and without doubt it is one of the best I have used ?I turn on my iPad this morning to find it had gone I locate it in the App Store but I must repurchase it which if I do I am sure I will have lost over two years of records
    Can you help

• January 1, 2016 at 10:51 am

There is no way for an app to delete itself, however it is very easy to accidentally delete apps in iOS. You won’t have to buy it again (since you already purchased it), however if the app is deleted, so is your data. Unless you have been making regular backups using the backups feature? If so, just re-download the app and restore your latest backup. Failing all of that, you might be able to get it back by restoring an iTunes backup, but they are somewhat unreliable. You might also want to contact Apple for help on why your app was deleted in the first place.

31. Simon Richardson
    December 23, 2015 at 9:43 pm

With the iCloud feature on the Power User, does it automatically synchronise between my iOS devices or have I got to do something extra? I just want to pick up my iPad and see the readings that I’ve entered on my iPhone where all the magic is done in the background without me doing anything.

• December 23, 2015 at 9:46 pm

If you enable auto-backups, the app will make a new backup every time you make a change. Your other device will then prompt you to restore this, subject to the glacial pace of iCloud.

• Simon Richardson
        December 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Excellent, thank you this is good to know. Will this been done in the future without the prompting?

• December 23, 2015 at 9:49 pm

No, that wouldn’t work very well.

32. December 23, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Hi Graham, I own an RV storage facility here in the US. (RV meaning Recreational Vehicle or caravan as I think you guys say) Anyway, I have a separate electric meter for each customer. I’m having a hard time keeping track of them by hand. I found your app in the app store, but you say I can only have 9 meters. I would need 75 meter capacity with naming assignments for each meter. Other than that, my needs are simple…reading of each meter and simple cost calculation. Can you recommend an option for me, I’m using the ipad. I know there are other owners like me who would be happy to purchase an app that would work for us. Thanks!

• December 23, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Hi David, you just need the pro upgrade. It removes the 9 meter restriction.

33. Graham Crewe
    December 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Hi Graham, still love the app after18 months of use. Taken hundreds of readings with it.
    Just recently I’ve switched from daily readings to weekly with an 8pm reminder every Sunday. For the last couple of weeks it hasn’t reminded me but I remembered anyway. This week I forgot and the Sunday reminder happened at 8pm on Minday – just now. Checked the settings and they are set for weekly, Sunday’s, 8pm. Any ideas?

• December 21, 2015 at 8:20 pm

No idea on this one, sorry. Check your time and date settings on your device. Or perhaps you are in a different timezone? Note that the reminder won’t fire if you have run the app that day before the reminder time as I assume you no longer need reminding.

• Graham Crewe
        December 21, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Graham. I’ll come back to you in a week if it does it again…

• December 21, 2015 at 9:30 pm

You don’t have to wait a week. Just set it to tomorrow. And remember not to run the app that day until it fires.

• January 4, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Hi again Graham, I did as you suggested and the reminder came on the right day and at the right time. I set it back to Sundays, and the next Sunday’s came on time again. But I got no reminder this Sunday (yesterday). It came instead today, 24 hours later. Strange! I took screenshots of the reminder and the settings screen showing weekly, Sunday as the set reminder (although obviously I can’t prove to you that I haven’t fiddled anything). I live in Austria so I am on European time (1 hour ahead of GMT). Apart from that I can’t think of anything unusual. I have an iPhone 5S on iOS 9.2 (13C75). I’m not desperate to solve this – it barely affects my use of the app if my readings are on Mondays not Sundays: I just want to inform you that there seems to be a bug there somewhere.

• January 5, 2016 at 8:00 am

No problem, I believe you. 🙂 I tried to reproduce this last night but couldn’t. Will keep trying.

• January 5, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Did the notification say your readings were due “today” or “overdue”?

• January 5, 2016 at 9:53 pm

It says “Overdue”. But I am pretty sure that no message came on the Sunday. I have to unlock the phone to dismiss it. …But I see that this is most likely to be the problem.

• January 5, 2016 at 9:56 pm

So the app posts 7 future-dated notifications, one on the day saying “due today” and the following six days saying “overdue”. Perhaps you just missed the notification on the day itself? I will keep looking …

• January 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

(Feeling very embarrassed here) I have set an alarm for this Sunday at 19:59. I will see what happens on my phone a minute later, but I bet you are right. Sorry to waste your time. (If there was a way to upload images to this site, you would have spotted the problem immediately)

• January 6, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Check your alert style setting for my app (under notifications in the main settings app). Banners are VERY easy to miss. Alerts require a user action to dismiss.

34. Steve
    December 21, 2015 at 11:54 am

I’ve bought a new iPad, but the last reading that I inputed on my iPhone doesn’t appear, yet I have iCloud and iCloud Drive enabled.

• December 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Hi Steve, data is not synced between devices unless you have enabled auto-sync (a Power User feature). Also you either need to be using iCloud everywhere or iCloud Drive everywhere, you can’t mix them.

35. December 14, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Graham, i’ve noticed something that doesn’t make sense (to me) with the meters ios app.
    I’ve created some fictional values to demonstrate this-
    Eg, a meter that is read every week at exactly the same time and increases by the same amount, lets say every thursday at 12 noon the reading is 10 kw more than the previous week. (unlikely, i know, but just as an example)
    This, as you’d expect, presents a straight line graph. However if you miss one weeks reading and enter double for the following week you’d still expect a consistent line (10kw weekly is the same as 20kw fortnightly) However, this is not the case and a dip is seen in the graph.
    Here’s some screen shots (dip between 12-26 november dates):
    Could you explain why this is please? thank you.
    Also why does the start “ramp” up when the first week is also a 10kw reading, the same as every other week?
    and why is the average 9.2kw and not 10kw?
    other readings (out of view) go right through to 24 december (the future) at 10kw per week so not sure why the end of the graph tails off either.

dont get me wrong- love your app and it has already settled a dispute with the energy provider and i still rely on it
    thanks again

• December 14, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Hi Steve, because at the end of October we change from BST to GMT and there aren’t 24 hours in the day. The first and last points on the graph are part periods as the graphs are based on the calendar (12:00am through 23:59pm) whereas your readings are half way through the day. You can change this in the settings (Extrapolate ON).

36. Bil McGregor
    December 12, 2015 at 10:32 am

Just a thought and maybe not easy to do but a line graph to put over the bar charts showing averaged temperature for the months would give more insight into the year on year comparisons. Could be very cluttered I suppose and would need to link to location but your comments would be appreciated.

• December 12, 2015 at 11:03 am

Hi Bil, that depends on how much you were prepared to pay. Most historical weather data services are expensive, running to £10s per user per year for your subscription. Plus there would be all the integration work for each one into the app. Alternatively you could enter temperatures manually but that would be rubbish, unless you did it every day. I can see the appeal though, but it’s not that practical to implement.

37. December 2, 2015 at 8:42 am

Hi, great app by the way, and I’m a professional energy manager.

Can you tell me whether the readings interpolate between dates to get a full month or week of data.

For example, I started readings mid-month, then want to go back a year later and compare month by month usage on the bar chart.

Does the display show ‘actual’ in month usage or does it apply the daily average in that month and multiply it by the days in the month?

Regards
    Andy

• December 2, 2015 at 9:21 am

Hi Andy, that’s what the extrapolate option is for in the settings. See the user guide for details.

38. John Millington
    November 30, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Can I add a virtual/calculated meter?
    Eg main meter minus sub meter

• November 30, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Hi John, there are multiple variations of these in the app already. Just change the meter type and number of readings, and pick the one that makes the most sense. For cost adjustment per reading you can use +ve and -ve figures.

39. Pien
    November 29, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I used to have an android phone but now changed to iphone 5s and my old app for the readings doesnt work on the iphone. In the fac you state that in your app export is possible but is it also possible to import data from a csv file? That would save a lot of time,

• November 29, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Hi Pien, yes, see the CSV Import section in the user guide.

40. Diana Lewis
    November 29, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Have used the app successfully on iPhone for several years.have just been filling in last year’s data on iPad version and twice it has all disappeared for no reason that I can determine. Please advise. Diana

• November 29, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hi Diana, there is nothing in the app that would do that. What specifically are you doing? To copy data between devices, use the backups feature. In fact with the Power User upgrade they keep each other up-to-date.

41. Bill Wilson
    November 23, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hello Graham,
    I have just changes gas rates in the programme and made a ‘note’ to that effect- it is shown in a yellow background. When I try to review the note and other ‘notes’ the content seems to disappear into the top of the screen on my iPad. I can read it or part of it in the Readings screen.
    Is there a problem?
    Bill W

• November 23, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hi Bill, I am not seeing a problem on my devices. What type of iPad do you have, and what version of iOS are you running? What specifically do you mean by disappear into the top of the screen?

• Bill Wilson
      November 30, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I use and ipad4 and IOS 9.1. The notes are disappearing completely from the yellow screen, including the ones entered historically. When in the readings screen the first part of the note can be seen but the whole note disappears when I touch the I in the blue circle.

• November 30, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hi Bill, this seems to work fine for me. When you tap the blue i button, it shows you the notes, but it scrolls to the bottom as you are in edit mode. If you want to look at the very top, you can scroll up by dragging the yellow background downwards.

42. daniel
    November 23, 2015 at 3:04 pm

hi graham. the iCloud backups on my iPhone don’t show up on my iPad and vice versa after reinstalling the app. Furthermore if I create iCloud backups on my iPad, I am unable to delete them. They reappear in grey after clicking reload. It seems to be an issue with the iCloud Drive sync. Is there anything I can try to fix it?

• November 23, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Hi Daniel, have you migrated to iCloud Drive on all devices? Once you enable it once (on any device), you need it everywhere, this is an Apple limitation. When deleting files, you get to choose whether to delete locally or across all devices. Only the latter will remove it completely.

• daniel
        November 23, 2015 at 8:42 pm

thank you for your answer.
        yes it is enabled and has worked just fine before. both devices are on ios 9.1 and icloud drive is enabled on both of them.

one more thing… if i try to delete the app, i get a message in terms of “pending updates” which won’t be synced to icloud if i continue.

• November 23, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Sounds like an iCloud issue. The pending updates message is nothing to do with my app. I would try rebooting your device(s) as that often fixes Apple iOS bugs.

• daniel
            November 23, 2015 at 9:19 pm

rebooted both devices. Same problems. Is there a hidden option to delete all of “meters” data on iCloud? I got an Dropbox backup just in case but I want to get the automatic sync working again.

• November 23, 2015 at 9:27 pm

No there isn’t, you have to delete the files one at a time. But if iOS isn’t working with iCloud this won’t help you. A quick Google suggests completely resetting your problematic device is the way to go. Or perhaps disabling iCloud altogether and setting it up again?

• daniel
                November 23, 2015 at 10:03 pm

i messed around a little with my system time before it happened (eg. set i to an arbitrary date in the future) and maybe inadvertently made a backup with this setting. could this be a possible problem?

• November 23, 2015 at 10:06 pm

That could completely mess up iCloud I guess. For my app, the only issue is with auto updates as I use the date to decide which three backups to keep (only the newest three).

• daniel
                    November 23, 2015 at 10:18 pm

guess that was the problem. I fixed it by temporarily removing my iCloud account on both devices. thank you for your help.

43. Alan
    November 23, 2015 at 11:37 am

I have used meter program for years, I think its excellent. My recommendation to make it even better is to allow the user to show on the bar graph a given month comparison for the past 5 years, ie if I want to compare useage for November, i could see what I used for the past 5 Novembers

• November 23, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Hi Alan, good idea but not so easy to implement. You can of course compare historical data by increasing the time of the graph to Max (needs landscape mode on an iPhone). Touch and hold the graph to view actual figures.

44. November 23, 2015 at 8:33 am

Can’t find it on the suport pages. Please send me the link to the relevant page or send me text instructions – getting very frustrated.

Ta
    Neil

• November 23, 2015 at 9:27 am

On the page you keep sending me questions from(!), in the Frequently Asked Questions section at the top, there is an answered question on Restoring the Power/Pro User upgrades. That is what you are asking about I believe, so I don’t understand why you aren’t seeing it? If this doesn’t apply to you and enabling the upgrade switches and selecting restore isn’t working, then you are either using the wrong iTunes account or you need to contact Apple to ask them why you can’t restore your purchases. I am not sure what else I can do to help. Sorry.

45. November 22, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Thanks so far, it works, my old device is up to date again. How do i get your app to write to the apps folder, i found nothing in the manual about that

• November 22, 2015 at 8:55 pm

When you link the app to Dropbox, you choose whether to use the root folder or the Apps folder.

• November 22, 2015 at 8:59 pm

where exactly do i change that, in your app or in dropbox. i cant’t find it in either one

• November 22, 2015 at 9:00 pm

In my app, when linking to Dropbox. Turn the switch off to unlink, then turn it on again.

46. neilbradshaw
    November 22, 2015 at 4:23 am

Hi Graham. I was unable to update to the latest version of Meters – update just stalled. So I deleted and downloaded the new version. Problem is I no longer have pro user features. Restore doesn’t do anything. Please help as I now need to restore all my data from iCloud. I have the same problem on a new iphone6, installed the app but can’t restore the pro user.
    Neil

• November 22, 2015 at 8:51 am

Hi Neil, this is covered on my support page. You don’t need the pro user upgrade to restore backups from iCloud, only the power user upgrade.

• Neil
        November 22, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Power user won’t restore either.

• November 22, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Again, this is explained fully on my support page. I was just making the point that you don’t need the pro upgrade to access backup files on iCloud. Sorry if you misunderstood.

47. Frans Verschuren
    November 21, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Hi graham can you help me again with synch. I asked before how to synch my ipad1 with my iPad Air. I know it does not work via iCloud because of old version of ios on ipad1. But after update on new iPad, I do not see the new files on my old iPad in Dropbox. Can you help please. TIA, Frans V.

• November 21, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi Frans, I don’t know what you mean exactly. If you just want to copy your data, use the backups feature. See https://grahamhaley.co.uk/meters/backups/. Both iCloud or Dropbox will work. Or export a backup file by email, save it to a computer and upload it to your new device using import by wifi.

• Frans Verschuren
        November 22, 2015 at 10:20 am

Hi Graham. I’ll add some more info. Indeed I want to see a copy of my data on my old iPad-1 (OS5). When i open Meters and look to the files in dropbox, I only see old files. I enter new data every first of the month from my iPhone6 and there I see the recent files listed. So it seems the old ipad (and iphone4) don’t see the recent files. If I look INTO the dropbox app I only see a folder Meter Readings, containing only one file from last july. From the app on iphone6 (and ipad air) I see all the kept recent files. do you need more info ?

TIA Frans V.

• November 22, 2015 at 10:50 am

You have linked the new device to the Apps folder in Dropbox, but your old device is still linked to the root folder. So they are looking at different files in different places. Easiest fix is to unlink your old device from Dropbox and re-link it to the Apps folder. You can then delete your old top level MeterReadings folder.

• November 22, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Hi graham, your option did not solve my problem. I disconnected the old device(s) from dropbox and made a new backup from my iphone-6. the proper file shows in the backup list on the new devices, but not on the old ones. I alreadt removed the MeterReadings folder on Dropbox, but no difference still. I tried to find the new file on Dropbox, but it is not there, there is an App-folder, but there is no data in there from your application.
            What more can I try now ?

• November 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Are you sure you are using Dropbox on your newer devices? It isn’t used if iCloud is enabled in the settings, only if iCloud is disabled and Dropbox enabled. If you are using Dropbox, then you need to link your old device to Dropbox and choose the apps folder option. If you are not using Dropbox, then you are probably sharing files over iCloud. See the user guide, in the backups section.

• November 22, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I turned iCloud off and tested again. No need to disconnect old devices and reconnect, because file appear in root (of course) Can i send it to a special folder as well, as I had before. Thanks so far, great help as ever

• November 22, 2015 at 8:39 pm

When linking to Dropbox, you can choose the Apps folder or you can use the root folder. It is up to you but the Apps folder keeps things cleaner. If you change you need to move the files yourself outside of my app.

Comment pages