Home > Announcements > Account Tracker 2.9 now available

Account Tracker 2.9 now available

February 8, 2011

By popular request, added support for syncing between devices using Bluetooth. This is basically an extension of the backup feature, and it lets you select and send a backup file directly from one device to another (e.g. between your iPhone and your iPad). Note that its not true syncing, since your data is overwritten (not merged), but it does simplify moving your data around. I am still investigating Dropbox support for a future release.

The files in the backups screen are now shown in REVERSE alphabetical order, so that your most recent backup is at the top (i.e. it will be visible).

More improvements to the budgets screen. By default it will show just those categories for which you have set a budget, however you can change this to show all categories using the All/Budgets button at the top left of the screen. I have also added a summary of spending, income and transfers in a new top section.

Improvements to the detailed reports screen (i.e. when you select the i button). I have added a summary of spending, income and transfers, as well as the various reports per category/detail all in the same table.

Export of budget and report information as a CSV file (e.g. you can now export things like “all spending in 2010”).

Fixed export of CSV files to ensure they are loaded in multiple columns. Please let me know if you still see issues here.

Made a subtle change to the semantics of the END ON date for recurring transactions. This now controls which OCCURRENCES are valid, rather than which EDITED DATES are valid. I only know of 12 people likely to be affected by this change (you know who you are!), however if others find that your balances have been changed or are incorrect as a result of this update, PLEASE get in touch ASAP via my support pages as there is a very quick way to work out what you need to do.

Performance improvements and bug fixes.

1. R
    October 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hi graham, I love the app. Because of it, I now save around £400 per month And I can get the things I want. I am using excel for small business accounts but want to use account tracker instead can you give us a Pc version – or should I just use the iPad app?

• October 11, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Hi R, I have no plans to develop a PC version, but I have started looking at a Mac version.

• Ali
        March 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm

When will the mac version be available? I cant wait for it. Will the app files be compatible? so you can just import all accounts and transaction.

• March 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hi Ali, I can’t guarantee a date, but probably sometime this year. Yes the files will be compatible.

2. Laura
    April 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hello,

Is there any way which I can export CSV? I occasionally end up with the wrong total and takes a whilst trying to find out where Ive gone wrong and why it doesnt match my online banking. Its usually because Ive changed standing orders, but it would be easier to see it side by side.

• April 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hi Laura, yes, just select the compose icon to the right of Show/Hide on the account screen.

3. Richard Daly
    March 8, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Hi Again

Just woderng for account tracker do you have a pc version that I can sync my iphone version with. I would like to put a months worth of info onto the tracker and i think it would be best to do this on the computer rather than the phone as the phone may take a long time?
    Great App!!!!!

4. roger.cuthbert@btconnect.com Cuthbert
    March 6, 2011 at 7:32 am

Overall very impressed having been a lon-time Quicken user but wanting something for my iPad. I tend to schedule transactions and looking forward is key for me.
    A few inital thoughts/comments – my apologies if they are already there & I have missed them:
    Account Tracker v2.9

Ability to group categories using sub-groups.
    i.e.
       Vehicles: Fuel: BMW
       Vehicles: Fuel: Stag
       Vehicles: Insurance: BMW
       Vehicles: Insurance: Stag
       Vehicles: Tax: BMW … Etc.
    Can then report on all vehicle costs (Vehicles), all fuel costs (Vehicles: Fuel) or just specific vehicle costs (Vehicles: Fuel: BMW).

Show all repeated transactions as a list to export/print. This is effectively your regular direct debits & standing orders.

Allow split categories for repeating transactions – i.e. Utilities: Electricity and Utilities: Gas are often in one monthly payment to supplier.

In the Balance report, allow the balance for any particular day to be shown – perhaps by touching on the chart?
    Currently it is useful to scroll through the months and see projected balances, and if it drops sharply, to see what transaction is scheduled to cause the drop.

When selecting dates, show the day, or maybe even a calendar. Very often you want to enter something for say next Friday, but don’t actually know the date.

Support landscape orientation – especially wih charts in reports which just sit compressed at the top of the page.

Please take as constructive feedback!!

Regards
    Roger

• March 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hi Roger, many thanks for your feedback – it is always welcome. Sub-categories and splits for recurring transactions would both add considerable complexity to the app. I should have thought more about these things earlier on as it would have made it easier to implement.

You can see recurring transactions now, by selecting the double-arrow button (next to All). However this simply filters on repeating occurrences, rather than one row per direct debit.

I will look at displaying actual balances when you touch the graphs – this should be possible, but it might interfere with the horizontal scrolling.

I have just added a calendar view when entering dates – watch out for it in version 3.0. Also included in that release is support for landscape mode on the iPad.

5. Sharon
    February 28, 2011 at 7:49 am

Can you explain exactly how to transfer a backup by bluetooth because as far as i know neither the iphone or ipad support bluetooth file transfer, and my devices do not recognise each other anyway!

• February 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hi Sharon, I don’t think its supported on very early devices (e.g. the original iPhone), however it works on all newer devices. From the Backups screen on both devices, select Import by Bluetooth on the receiving device, then select a backup file on the sending device and choose Export by Bluetooth. It will prompt you to turn Bluetooth on (if it is off) and then attempt to connect. This can take a while, perhaps 10-20 seconds at times. But it should work.