Home > Announcements > Account Tracker 3.0 now available

Account Tracker 3.0 now available

March 19, 2011

Added support for Dropbox, letting you use this popular cloud-based storage solution for managing your backups (free account required, see dropbox.com). Once enabled in the settings, backups made locally and automatically copied to Dropbox. Backups on Dropbox that aren’t on your device will be shown in grey, to let you select and download them. This makes it extremely easy to move your settings and data between devices.

Added support for landscape mode on the iPad. Also improved the layout of some screens to take advantage of the extra space.

Added buttons to the bottom of the four main screens (all accounts, individual accounts, budgets and reports) to make it more obvious that selecting this text actually does something. On the main accounts screen, it changes the view of your totals and balances, on the individual account screen it scrolls to today, and on the budget and report screens it lets you change the period you are viewing.

Changed the date entry screens to present a calendar view instead of the scroll wheels.

Changed the pie charts to show percentages of positive values only (previously any negative values would result in a grey pie chart).

Changed the auto-backups feature to be a popup reminder, rather than doing the actual backups for you. I have done this to allow backups to be copied to Dropbox, but also to make you aware that you still need to export backups files from your device.

Made the Quick Restart option in the security settings configurable, rather than it being fixed at 3 minutes. You can now set this to be from 1-15 minutes (or off).

More performance improvements.

1. Chris Whyte
    August 17, 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi,

Great App but I really can’t work out how to import a .csv file from dropbox. I have laid the file out as per your guide but I just can’t see how to import it? What do I press!? Which import option do I select to access the .csv file in my dropbox?

Thanks,

Chris

• August 17, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hi Chris, if you are running the latest version of my app (rather than 3.0 which is quite old now!), just tap on the CSV file in the Dropbox app and choose to open it with my app. Otherwise go to the backups screen in my app and select the file from there.

2. Faith Tindall
    January 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Hi,
    Just started using this app and really love it! Can you explain to me in detail how to do the back up via Dropbox to use between iPhone and iPad please as i am struggling with this! Have figured out how to do it with Bluetooth but would prefer to use Dropbox.
    Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.
    Faith

• January 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Hi Faith, this is mentioned in my user guide or on my website in the backups section. But basically you need to enable Dropbox in my app settings on each device, then when you make a backup on one device, it will become visible on the other device (on the backups screen). You can then select and restore it.

3. Ed Roberts
    May 22, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Would it be possible to hold recurring transactions from being applied to an account until they have been actioned. What I mean is, if transactions are bills, then they need to be paid before they can affect the account balance. It is easy to forget the payment if they are instantly applied.

• Ed Roberts
      May 22, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Btw I love the app! I used to use Microsoft Money, and now I can manage all I need to on my phone with your app.

• May 22, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hi Ed, how would you know to action them if they aren’t visible? Also have you looked at the reminders feature, specifically designed for bills that need manual intervention? You can be reminded days in advance of when you need to pay a bill … etc.

4. David
    May 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’ve been using Account Tracker for some time and now that my wife has an iPad she has also installed it (some praise indeed as she works in accounts and used to use Sage Accounts on her laptop). We can back up each others accounts to the others iPad using Bluetooth but the backup file name, whilst working fine individually can get confusing. Is there anyway that we can change the name of the backup file to something more meaningful?

Many thanks

David

Ps when is the next update due? Looking forward to it.

• May 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hi David, the backup file names basically tell you when the backup was made, which is why their names aren’t that readable! If you used Dropbox for sharing, you could easily rename them, however bear in mind that restoring a backup will overwrite all of your existing data. Basically there is no support for merging across two devices.

Next update is coming soon. A few people have been testing 3.1 as its a rather major change to the UI, but so far feedback is very positive.

5. Ben
    May 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi graham,

Is it possible to export a backup in a format compatable for import into excel?

Ben

• May 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Hi Ben, you can export statement data as a CSV from the account screen. Just select the compose icon (to the right of Show/Hide).

6. Richard
    May 1, 2011 at 11:34 am

Just looking at this app as a potential replacement for my very ancient Psion accounting software. Like it a lot (first one with multiple currencies). One question: Is it possible for me to set the exchange rate at which foreign currency balances are converted? (I see it is possible for individual transactions) If not, from where are they exchange rates taken and when are they updated?
    Thanks for a promising looking app

• May 1, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi Richard, your account balances … etc will be displayed in local currency, but your group totals, budgets and reports are converted into your base currency using the latest exchange rates. The app updates these from Yahoo every 6 hours or so, if you have an Internet connection. For individual transactions, you can set the exchange rate yourself, or look it up automatically. Once set, the amounts in a given transaction won’t change unless you manually change it.

7. Randolph
    April 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Just got the free version of the app to try out and it looks like just what I need – just one thing stopping me from getting the full app… I maybe missing something but I would like my transactions to default to ‘not reconciled’ when I enter them – then when my bank publishes a statement I can step through the transactions ticking them off as reconciled and easily spot any discrepancies. Is this possible?

• April 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Hi Randolph, yes, just enable reconcile mode in the settings. By default, all transactions today or earlier are assumed to be reconciled, however with reconcile mode on you can manually tick off transactions when you want to.

• Randolph
        April 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I feel a fool – lol. I searched and found that option just after typing my message – took a minute or so to work out how to use it, however it is perfect. Just came back here to post a reply answering my own question and discovered that you’d already replied – superb support!

8. Steve
    April 28, 2011 at 7:04 am

Hi Graham, Thanks for this great App, it’s the one I use continually.

A couple of questions –

I have the App on my Iphone and have just bought an Ipad. Is there a way to have the data content continually in sync with each device ?

Is it possible to introduce flexibility to have more Groups to spread accounts over ?

Is it possible to have a way of recording current interest rates for savings accounts, against the Accounts details ?

Many Thanks

Steve

• April 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Hi Steve, you can sync data between devices, but you need to take a backup on one, get the backup file onto your other device, then restore it. Dropbox makes this trivial.

I am looking at adding an unlimited number of groups in my next release – there are some UI challenges in doing this, but I think I know what I’d like to do.

Finally you can certainly add extra info as a note attached to the account – you can do this by selecting the blue button to the right of the account on the all accounts screen. If you are meaning “and automatically calculate the interest” then no, the app can’t do that.

9. David
    April 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

Hi Graham, this is a very good app…well done.

One feature that I would find useful is the ability to import CSV files from Dropbox. This would avoid having to use other computing devices besides my iPad.

When importing a CSV file I noticed that credits of a thousand pounds appear as £1 in the register. I might be doing something wrong but as all the other figures export correctly I thought I would mention it.

Kind regards

David

• April 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi David, you can import CSV files from Dropbox – just make sure they have a .csv file extension, and read the user guide for the required format.

The issue with values more than 1000 is caused by the thousand separator. Just reformat these cells to exclude it.

10. David
    April 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I have noticed that when reconciling an account a small anomaly can occur. My Bank Account today (Sunday), shows a balance although they are showing two payments that will go out tomorrow (Monday). If I reconcile these payments in Account Tracker, they do show show up in the reconciled balance, unless I change the payment date to today or leave it until tomorrow when it will right itself. Not a great problem, but it would be handy if reconciled payments showed up in the reconciled balance irrespective of the date, or is there already a way of doing this?

Many thanks

David

• April 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Hi David, I think you are asking for future reconciled transactions to be included in the balance. This (to me) doesn’t make sense, because 1) the balance shows the current state of your account today, and 2) a future transaction can’t possibly be reconciled. Am I missing something?

• David
        April 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm

It does sound a bit odd I must admit. But what the Banks automatic system is doing is showing payments that will go out tomorrow, ie a non weekend day when the Banks are open. Therefore the available balance on the account is not that which is available today, but that which will be available tomorrow. Even if I reconcile the payments they will not show up in Account Tracker until the day of payment. As I said earlier, it’s not a problem and normally only happens on a Sunday. Thanks for a quick reply, as usual.

David

• April 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Hi David, I guess this does make sense. I will look into it.

11. Mayank
    April 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I have just stumbled upon this app and I am loving it. Just wanted to know if there was a way to set the FIRST DATE of the year. For example, as I have just got the app, I would like it to start the year from today instead of going back into Jan, Feb ,march for which I have no information about. Just so that it does not mess up my averages and stuff.

I am sorry if this feature already exists but would be very grateful if you could point me to that

Thanks a lot

Mayank

• April 1, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hi Mayank, I assume you mean for the reports and budgets? There isn’t a way to do this, however for the individual accounts, the app only shows you the transactions you have entered.

12. Ken
    April 1, 2011 at 6:46 am

I use Quicken as my account tracker. I am looking for a product that will allow me to jot my cash activity for a day or a week then export the activity to Quicken. Does any one know of such a product?

• April 1, 2011 at 7:25 am

Hi Ken, Account Tracker can certainly track your income and spending. It can also export statement data in CSV format, which I presume Quicken could import??

13. Richard Newton
    March 20, 2011 at 9:40 pm

‘Accounts’ goes from strength to strength, but I do agree with Andreas about small numerals on the footer button. One thing I would like to see is more obvious warnings (in the small grey text under an account name) of upcoming issues. For example use of coloured text to depict certain states of the account it refers to. If for example (and this is just one possible use), the text changing it’s colour within a certain proximity of days before a scheduled event or before an overdrawn or overlimit condition is about to occur. The coloured dots are great but I keep missing the important messages in grey!

• March 21, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hi Richard, I agree these devices tend to result in small font sizes that can be hard to see as you get older. Perhaps an “increase font sizes” option in the settings, like on iBooks!! 🙂

14. Andreas
    March 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hi Graham, yes, I made a backup before upgrading, just like you told us 😉

Regarding the button font size: Ok, maybe that is the apple default but I feel it is not the optimal choice to display relatively fast changing information. It is ok for static text though. I think it was just perfect in 2.9.

Thanks a lot for looking into this!
    Andreas

15. Andreas
    March 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Thank you for this update, everything seems to work like is should, no problems so far.

But please please (+please ;)) consider rolling back the changes regarding the button at the the bottom. The numbers (important information there) are barely readable now, at least for people like me. Have a heart for people over 40 who cannot read those tiny fonts very well anymore…

On the other hand I can confirm (just tested it by rolling back to 2.9) that the backup/restore process is working flawlessly 😉

Thanks and kind regards
    Andreas

• March 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Hi Andreas, I did wonder about the font size being too small, however this is Apple’s default and lots of apps (including Apple’s own) use it. I think the buttons make it more obvious that tapping at the bottom will do something, but I will look to see if I can make it better (i.e. BIGGER!).

BTW, reverting back a release is dangerous. Make sure you don’t use a 3.0 backup with version 2.9 since that will result in undefined results, and most likely crashes.