Home > Announcements > Meter Readings 2.9 now available

Meter Readings 2.9 now available

May 6, 2011

Added Dropbox support to the backup and restore feature, to make it even easier to share your data between devices (e.g. your iPhone and iPad). Also moved the Backups functionality to the Settings screen.

By popular request, added a reminder feature in the settings, where you can set up a daily, weekly or monthly reminder to take your readings. This only works on devices running iOS 4.0 or above as it relies on Apple’s local notification service.

Added a quick 2-3 minute getting started tour for new users. I would recommend everyone going through this in case you aren’t aware of some of the features.

Big improvements to the graphs, not only to add a bit of colour, but also to let you find out the values at each of the points. All you need to do is touch and hold the graph, then drag left or right.

On non-iPad devices, you now need to double tap the graph to switch between usage and costs.

Moved the meter and rate settings to the Meters screen.

Added support for meters with up to 8 digits.

1. Trevor
    July 26, 2011 at 7:50 am

Hi Graham
    Just getting started with your App to hopefully keep tabs on water & electric usage.
    I live in Perth West Australia & had a smart meter installed when the house was built about 10 years ago.
    The electric company “Synergy” reads the meter. I’ve never bothered attempting to read these newer meters. Now… Because I want to enter the data into the App
    I find that it’s not like the old easy to read dials. It now has a sequence of numbers that show for about 7 seconds & then it moves on to the next set. According to their website http://www.synergy.net.au/at_home/smartpower.xhtml
    They have four rates of KWH fees, which depend on the time of day you use the electricity.
    Before I contact the Power Athority on how to read the meter
    I guess I need to ask…. Can your program handle these different charge rates?
    I might have bitten off more than I can chew by buying your APP
    Cheers 
    TJH

• July 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Hi Trevor, the app supports up to 3 different sets of readings per meter, however looking at your energy supplier’s website, it’s not entirely clear how many you need to submit. It could be up to 10!! Do you know?

2. Steve Lanr
    May 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi,I’m new to your app,and I’m working my way around it.
    Just got my bill from EDF Energy and I’m comparing the paper bill to your software.
    My Question is
    If I’m being charged 3.353p per kwh
    How do I enter this
    Is it 0.03353
    Steve Lane

• May 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Hi Steve, yes, that is spot on.

3. Edgar
    May 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I moved to Mexico City, where the billing is done BIMONTHLY. It will be great that you put this bimonthly option in your great program.
    Edgar

• May 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hi Edgar, which bit of the app do you think needs changing? For the rates, just convert what you enter to their monthly (or yearly) equivalents and the app will figure it out.

4. Steve
    May 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Dropbox support alone was surely worth a version-bump to 3.0:
    you implemented the sync in a brilliant and very smooth way.
    I just did a sync to my new Ipad2 from an Iphone backup and it completed perfectly and without the need of any manual work: really impressive.

I have to agree with the previous poster on the choice of colours: I also preferred the old ones, making it more obvious what the historic values were.

I am also glad to see that your app was chosen as app of the week from Apple: really deserved, and hopefully a nice sales boost to guarantee future developments.

It’s difficult to come up with new feature requests as the app is so complete, but one think I am still missing:
    the option to PIN code protect my data, so that when you start the app a password is requested.

• May 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Hi Steve, glad you like Dropbox – it makes it so easy!

Regarding the colours, red and green really didn’t look good against the pale blue background (which I like far more than the rather plain white). However I didn’t think it was too big a deal because you can quickly see from the bars whether the usage is above or below average (since the yellow average line stands out). Also you can now touch the graphs to get exact readings for any point.

I have PIN code access implemented in my Accounts app, however I didn’t really think people would want or need that for meter readings.

5. Chris
    May 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for an awesome App that helps me keep a track of my energy usage. Updates are always welcome, especially when they contain new development.

I’m surprised in the choice to change the graph colouring, before the update is was easy to see under use & over use with the green & red bars, now with everything blue it’s not quite as exciting.

I do hope you could bring back the old colours or give use an option in the settings.

• May 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Hi Chris, I did think carefully about the colour change, however red and green really didn’t look good against the pale blue background (which I like far more than the rather plain white). However I didn’t think it was too big a deal because you can quickly see from the bars whether the usage is above or below average (since the yellow average line stands out). Also you can now touch the graphs to get exact readings for any point.

• Chris
        May 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for the quick respose Graham,

I can understand that any change is always going to be heavily thought through, but I would have to disagree with you slightly on the average line. I’m finding it more difficult to read due to the yellow & single bar colour.

I have at this time decided to revert back to v2.8, you shouldn’t worry though as I did purchase the backup utility before doing so 🙂