Home > Features > Balance graph

Balance graph

February 9, 2013

Currently the balance graph in the reports shows END OF DAY balances for the period you select, one point on the graph per day. The maximum and minimum values again are end of day balances.

However on the account screen itself, where there can be many transactions that fall on a given day, the running balances I show are based on the day order you have configured in the advanced settings.

It is entirely possible (likely even) that the intra-day balances could fall outside the minimum-maximum range shown on the balance graph, as was noticed by one unhappy user (who has since defected to another app).

It is easy enough to calculate the intra-day balances, however I’m not sure how I would go about making the graph match the intra-day min/max. For example a given day could be both the min and the max balance!

Perhaps I could show the intra-day min and max, but leave the graph showing end of day balances.

Is this worth changing I wonder?

UPDATE: I would prefer not to change the graph itself, as this shows a single point per day, which is the end of day balance. The only view in the app where you actually see intra-day balances is the single account screen, so perhaps what I could do is display the intra-day min and max balance for single account reports only, all others would display the end-of-day min and max. This is actually trivial to change.

1. Mikko
    March 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm

A bit off topic but regarding the balance graph: could the max and min amounts be displayed right next to the y-axis (with a small font) instead of showing them in the bottom? This would make the graph more consistent with other common value graphs and therefore quicker to glance at.

• March 12, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hi Mikko, it could but I’m not going to do that as it is a waste of valuable screen space. I deliberately put these values below the graph to avoid this problem.

2. Steve Nugent
    February 10, 2013 at 12:05 am

Graham
    Leave it alone it works fine just as you created
    Best wishes
    Steve
    PS prefer you focus on a MAC version than waste your precious time with this 🙂

3. John Ainsworth
    February 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I might be missing something here but I can’t see how intra day balances have any significant meaning, as they are based on how the user has created transactions and not on how the bank/financial institution has processed them. Even the end of day balances, in my case, rarely match the financial institution balances. All I wish to know is whether my current a/c is likely to go into the red at the end of a particular day if all transactions are processed, though even there I have to allow for all debits being processed but not necessarily all credits. So, in my view, it’s not worth putting effort into changing AT to accommodate intra day changes in any way other than it does at present. But somebody might be able to explain why it is important in ways that I haven’t considered?

4. Richard Newton
    February 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Regarding high & low balances on each day, where as you rightly point out they might be the same, as it’s equally true they could in fact appear to be anything according to the order transactions are posted in (displayed as, perhaps), I think the person who raised the issue has a valid point. It might be useful for all of us to know the movement over the day, but do you really need anything more than a high and low? Meters isn’t meant to be a forensic measuring instrument, so I think there is a way to do it without causing yourself a lot of extra work. We might like to know some statistical information on the day, but surely we’re not talking about what happened right down to hours? I’d like to see the high, the low, the movement and perhaps there’s the mean, or maybe another user has some better idea. Is it worth doing, to a more limited degree, as suggested, is my opinion.

5. Helen Chisholm
    February 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I don’t use the reports to micro manage daily. I use the account log and scrol forward. I guess the important thing is that users understand what’s happening. So it should be in the user guide.

Also I see that daily is an option for reports in a daily report I would expect to see changes during that day, but not weekly

6. Nathan Ellsworth
    February 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm

What about using cat-whisker type stock graphs, where you could show the min, max, and final daily values in one column?

• February 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi Nathan, yes I thought of that, but I think it would look very messy when trying to show an annual graph which has 365 points (more than one point per pixel!).