Home > Features > Account Tracker calendar input

Account Tracker calendar input

February 9, 2014

aticon57 Quite a few people have commented (or have left negative reviews) about me removing the calendar input from Account Tracker. The reality is I haven’t removed it at all, I just changed the default setting to use the iOS 7 scroll wheels (HINT: look in the Advanced Settings). The old calendar input looks very dated on iOS 7 and it really needs replacing.

I do appreciate that the scroll wheels don’t show the day of the week. This is an Apple limitation as they don’t provide a scroll wheel for date input that lets you see the day of the week as well as the full date.

The solution to all of this is a completely new iOS 7-like calendar picker. I have been experimenting with this today and have come up with the following (screenshot below). This provides all the functionality of the old calendar input, but it looks a lot nicer. It also supports jumping forwards and back a year at a time (using the double arrows).

It will be included in my next update, coming in a few weeks.

2014-02-09 05.53.33

1. Nicholas Hoyle
    February 10, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi Graham been using the calendar instead of the scroll wheel for some time, however on my iPhone 5s the top of the calendar is obscured, wondered if this was due to the 5s as it didn’t happen on my 5. Cheers Nick.

• February 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Hi Nick, no, this is a known problem documented at the top of my support page.

2. February 9, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Looks good, really don’t like the scroll wheels, find them a bit fiddly…
    Could there be a one click option, rather than select a date then save ?

• February 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Hi Iain, I am concerned that people might accidentally tap something while trying to scroll or similar, which means they would then have to keep going back to the date screen.

3. Steve James
    February 9, 2014 at 8:02 am

Hi Graham – this looks great! Could you possibly allow the user to override the ‘start of week day’ as a settings option if you’re developing this from scratch? Account Tracker is currently the only app I use where Monday is the start of the week for me (in the UK) but I’ve got used to Sunday being the start of my week. And given my age, it’s now hard wired!

• February 9, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Hi Steve, that would complicate things quite a bit for no added functionality. If I have time I will take a look. Perhaps in a future update.

• February 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Hi, ok – this actually didn’t turn out to be too difficult, HOWEVER, I can’t for the life of me find out how to lookup the default setting in iOS. This doesn’t seem to be documented, and everything I have tried doesn’t work. If ever I find it I will change my code to support this.

4. Paul
    February 9, 2014 at 1:50 am

Hi Graham. As a fan of the “old” style date entry this will be a welcome update. Thanks for a great App! Paul