Home > Announcements > Account Tracker for Mac update #8

Account Tracker for Mac update #8

June 1, 2014

atmac-64x64
I am just making a few tweaks to my ATB Viewer app, so thought I would provide a brief update on a full version of Account Tracker for Mac.

First of all I am very glad I got the viewer app out in January, not just because I knew the full version would take a LOT of extra work but because I genuinely think it is a useful companion app. Quite a few people have commented that they use it daily to see their data on the bigger screen of their Mac’s. As a reminder, it can do everything the iOS version can, except add and edit transactions. All the budgets and reports are there, and you can view all of your accounts and transactions.

As a side effect of releasing my first Mac app, it has given me a good insight into the relative size of the two markets: iOS vs OSX. Please read this post for an explanation of why Mac apps cost a lot more than iOS apps.

So where do things stand today? To be honest, I have been disappointed by how few users have bought my backup viewer (a few hundred at most). I am really using this number to gauge the size of the market, and to decide on a price for the full version. Fundamentally the more of you who buy my backup viewer, the sooner I will get round to developing a full Mac version, and the cheaper it will be.

As to when this might be, it really is up to you.

1. Martin
    October 19, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Hi. Not all of us who are eagerly waiting for the Mac version already have the ios version. I am using another piece of personal finance software on my Mac right now and am eagerly awaiting Account Tracker for Mac to replace it. Therefore it is not true to say that the viewer app is a guage of your potential market. Keep up the good work and I am sure that Account Tracker for Mac will be successful!

• October 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Hi Martin, that’s probably true but I suspect very few people are in that category. I am still 100s short of making this viable. 😦

• Tony
      October 19, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Martin..I absolutely agree with you. As to Graham’s comment that “it’s up to you (us)” I have purchased everything he sells (but I don’t do Hills) and I have made a healthy donation. Not sure what else I can do except write it myself! Trouble is, Graham is one of the finest developers out there and I want to support him, not compete with him – more encouragement required!

• October 19, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Would it help promote sales and lead to full Mac version if perhaps Graham asked all of us who have iOS version to promote on Facebook etc? Like many I really could do with full version as irritating having to go to iPad while working on Mac. Regardless I still think it is great app and leaves the old MS Money in the dust.

• October 19, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Hi Philip, any publicity would be appreciated, thanks! Also remember to add or update reviews on iTunes, as these are reset every time I release an update. As a result of this, sales drop after every update, and I run the risk of the app quickly becoming so far down the ranking list that future revenue is put in serious jeopardy.

• October 19, 2014 at 7:11 pm

BTW, a new update to Account Tracker is coming very soon!

• October 19, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Hi Tony, now you are making me feel guilty AND embarrassed!! 🙂

2. September 24, 2014 at 8:13 am

Having purchased AT for Mac I use it regularly. But the point I would like to make is that when I make an on-line transaction on the Mac, I would like to key in the transaction onto AT straight away. 95% of the time I forget to go back to the IOS system and key it on the iPad. Then when the reconciliation takes place, those transactions are missing. So please help out and have a full version of AT on the Mac as soon as possible. You have a core of loyal users and some time wasters who do not bother to read your advice.

3. September 23, 2014 at 11:27 am

Since installing Iso8 my account tracker app crashes even before I can log in and won’t let me access anything. I desperately need to access this app and am concerned if I delete and reinstall I will loose everything. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• September 23, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Hi Lesley, I would usually have just emailed you directly to avoid spamming everyone who subscribes, however you left an invalid email address. You also posted this comment on a page talking about my Mac app, not my iOS one. Plus all of you questions are answered on my support page. Why do you think that deleting the app and re-downloading will fix or change anything? All it would do is delete your data, which you presumably want to keep!

• Philip Woods
      September 23, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Graham, I updated to ios8 and all works fine. Only change is when opening account tracker I get a brief view of my account before having to log in.

• September 23, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Hi Philip, that is a known problem and is documented on my support page. Fixed in v4.3.2.

4. George Dodgshon
    August 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Wow! As I indicated I have bought the ATB app.. It downloaded within seconds, and thenI expected a long tedious afternoon linking it to my iPad. Not a bit of it, as soon as I opened the app everything was there without my having to do anything. Brilliant. Can.t wait for the full version. Thanks.

• August 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Hi George, many thanks for your support. I aim to please! 🙂

• August 29, 2014 at 6:12 am

Can’t wait for the full version on the Mac. Its a brilliant App and the Support is excellent. As one is ageing a bigger screen is very useful. Yes I know I can do everything on the Mac except enter/edit data.

Graham, keep up the good work.

5. George Dodgshon
    August 28, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi Graham, I have been waiting all this year for your full Mac version, and having just read the comments above realise why it has not yet materialised. I had decided that I did not have any real use for the ATB version, but in order to encourage you I will now purchase it and assure you that will definitely buy the full version when it is launched.

6. Oscar
    July 25, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Hi Graham

Any idea of a timeframe for the full version of the app? It might just be me, but I have not
    bought the viewer because to me is just useless. Don’t get me wrong, I will be one of the
    first to buy the full version when is out. but not being able to update like I do on my iPhone
    and iPad versions of Account Tracker is of no use. I might be wrong, but I have the feeling
    that most people are just waiting for the full app. And that if the situation was visa versa,
    the viewer on the mobile devises and the app on the Mac, sales would probably be higher on the ATB. I would be more likely to use a viewer on my iPhone or iPad for a quick look to see what
    bills I might have coming up before I go spending money since the phone is always with me.
    and I enter the receipts when I get home. So if I’m home or have my laptop with me, my
    choice would be sitting entering them on the Mac and not one of my mobile devices.
    I’m not asking for an exact date but an idea. And about the price, I would pay 40 bucks for it
    and maybe even 50 depending on how I see it works.
    Just an Idea, don’t charge low end. maybe middle or higher with a discount to those that
    paid for the ATB. and full price to everyone else.
    I don’t remember if you have mentioned it somewhere but a big feature sale would be if the
    Mac version could download or sync with the financial institutions. not a selling point to me
    but I followed and use quicken for a long time and seems like a lot of people like that feature.
    Personally I don’t trust the banks.. Lol
    And just FYI, buying your ATB now.

Thanks, and I hope I made sense.

• July 26, 2014 at 12:35 am

Hi Oscar, clearly I don’t think it’s useless. Most people enter transactions on the go, and they only want a Mac app to make it easier to analyse their data. Hence my backup viewer.
      I won’t be supporting bank integration – not only would it be a huge amount of work, but surely no-one would trust a 3rd party app to do this? Use your bank’s app instead.

7. rjrecio
    June 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I’m a Account Tracker iOS user and I had no idea there was an Mac viewer app.

So, I have two suggestions that may help on increasing downloads and revenue:

1. Add a section in iOS app telling people that there’s also an iPad and Mac version
    2. Add a donate section to your website so people who really enjoy your work can help you more

• June 17, 2014 at 9:25 am

Hi, I did try. It has been mentioned in the what’s new notes for the last two updates. And for the previous update I forced people to read these before continuing with the app. 😦

8. Philip Woods
    June 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi Graham, I bought the iPad version as a temporary measure hoping the Mac version would arrive soon. I will certainly be disappointed if full version does not materialise though would fully understand. The iPad for me is for when away from home, holidays etc., my day is spent on the Mac.

9. Nathan Ellsworth
    June 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I was an early beta tester of ATB Viewer and to support the cause I just purchased it from the App Store. I have to say that I don’t anticipate using it much on my Mac yet. This is mostly because I have limited my budget items to all fit on my iPad screen so I can see them all at once. I seem to be able to do everything I need from the iPad.

I do expect though that I might use the Mac version for printing reports or screenshots.

Another use case for me would be helping my wife out when she gets behind entering transactions into her iOS copy of AT. When there are more than a dozen transactions, but less than 50 (which I’d do with CSV probably) using a real keyboard would be great.

I just love the iOS version enough to support the developer in this way. I’d pay for a Pro version also that had more sophisticated budgeting. Also husband/wife or multiple AppleID sync would be great.

Graham, do any of the iOS 8 announcements from WWDC lead you to believe multiple Apple ID sync would be easier with iCloud/iDrive? I heard that with Yosemite and iOS 8 there are 4,000 new published APIs.

• June 4, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Hi Nathan, thanks! It doesn’t look like iOS 8 changes anything to do with iCloud and multiple users. Shame really. The new iCloud Drive looks a lot better, and will be more useable for sharing documents between devices. Dropbox is so much better at this today.

10. Steve Woolaway (SW1948)
    June 2, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hi Graham: I get it completely. Would it help if you secured user commitment to the full MAC functionality at the price you plan to charge, by getting users to commit payment in advance against the promise of delivery?

I personally would be be prepared to do that, and I think there would be others who would too since the vast majority of AT users seem pretty ecstatic, and also understand you just aren’t the guy to let them down.

BTW I don’t see how getting people to buy ATB Viewer is an indicator that they would buy the Mac version later.

I would suggest no further development re Mac until you have enough commitment (by pre-payment) to ensure break even. If you don’t get enough users to commit, then increase the price to those will.

If we genuinely want you to develop it, we’ll put our money where our mouths are.

BTW I would not have a problem if you later sold it at a lower price to new users.

Come on guys, let’s help Graham out here. Think about what you’ve paid to date, and the incredible VFM we’ve had.

Regards, Steve

• June 2, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Hi Steve, I’m not sure I would get away with charging £15-£20 for a non-functioning app, even if it was being actively developed. I would simply get hammered in the reviews. 😦

• Steve Woolaway (SW1948)
        June 2, 2014 at 8:50 pm

That I don’t get. Who by? The people paying before they got it, would be, by definition, happy. No one else would be in that situation.

• June 2, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hi Steve, no matter how hard I try to document what works and what doesn’t, there will always be people who buy the app, find it doesn’t do what they thought, then leave a negative review. Just look at the couple of poor reviews on my backup viewer for evidence.

11. Stephen Poulton
    June 2, 2014 at 11:45 am

I have your Accounts Tracker App on my IOS devices, plus your ATB Viewer on my iMac. I feel it would be useful to explain how I use your Programs.
    I love the flexibility of the iPad App as it gives me the ability to update my money on the go, and I use it every day, sometimes in the actual shop, which saves me collecting receipts etc when they are not necessary, plus keeping me fully up to date with the bank.
    I use the iMac to view my money and make plans for tomorrow. As a result it is not used every day and when I do decide, for example, to reduce a payment to savings next month, I make the changes on my iPad. So I don’t really need the iMac for editing. Its strength for me is the simple act of being able to view everything on the large screen. This is what the program does – View the Accounts file.
    Having moved over from MS Money I have come to realise that I wanted the ability to be able to view everything on the big screen but to do everything on-the-go. Your programs give me that ability.
    Being honest, if you produce a full version of Account Tracker for Mac I wonder if I would buy it because I have all I need to do everything and more than I was doing with MS Money.
    Thank you for your hard work.

• June 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Hi Stephen, interesting. And this is exactly why I am charging for the backup viewer, because for some people it is all the functionality they need.

12. Vicky
    June 2, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks for the update Graham. I do hope that more of your users “put their money where their mouths are” for this, I for one would be disappointed if you are not able to continue with the development. Thanks for all you have done so far 🙂

13. Mark Sharples
    June 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I have bought the ATB viewer app for my Mac and I am patiently waiting for the full version. I love the iOS apps and they are really handy to capture a transaction when out shopping etc. but I do most of my reconciling in front of the Mac with the bank and credit card web sites. I have lost count the number of times I wish I could just update my Account Tracker from the Mac rather than trying to hunt down my iPhone or iPad which is invariably attached to one of the children. I get the relative size of the two markets and I certainly don’t want you to lose money developing it but I thought I would give you my experience of using Account Tracker and why a fully editable Mac version would work for me.

• June 2, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Hi Mark, yes, that is definitely one strong use case for a Mac app.

14. Tony Colin
    June 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Graham: I bought the tracker just to support your efforts to bring a full Mac app to market. I understand how frustrated you must feel at the lack of uptake, but I’d be happy to bet you a pint that things will improve immeasurably when you finally release it. Your apps are so well thought out and beautifully executed (are you blushing yet) that you cannot possibly fail! JUST GET ON WITH IT!!

• June 2, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Hi Tony, if only it were that simple!

15. Malcolm Goodman
    June 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Hi Graham

Can I just say that your Accounts App for the iPhone is absolutely wonderful – I use it everyday for my accounts and could not survive without it.

Thank you for all the time and money you have put into it, it really is wonderful…!

I’d be happy to pay a nominal few pounds each year for updates if you ever feel you need to do this.

Thank you!

Malcolm

…………………………….. Malcolm Goodman MBE http://www.malcolmgoodman.com

Sent from my iPhone

• June 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Hi Malcolm, I wish Apple had better support for charging for ongoing app updates. I would love a subscription model, but it becomes complex deciding who is entitled to what functionality.