Home > Announcements > Account Tracker 4.3 now available

Account Tracker 4.3 now available

August 22, 2014

aticon57 atficon57 Added Family Sync as an in-app purchase, i.e. device to device database syncing over Dropbox, for multiple separate users (PAID version only).

Improved the way splits are exported in a CSV file, specifically the total row is no longer included to make it easier to analyse (PAID version only).

When adding new transaction, the date will default to the same as the last transaction entered if that was within the last hour. If not, it will default to today (as previously).

Also when adding a new transaction, the account will default to the same as the last spending transaction entered if you have added transactions in the last hour. If not, it will default to the first account in your list. Unless of course you are viewing a specific account, in which case that will be used instead. Phew!

Added a workflow improvement when adding a new transaction, specifically it will take you straight to the amount screen after the category. So +, tap Details, enter first character, choose details, choose category, enter amount, save amount, save transaction, i.e. only 7 taps plus the amount to fully enter and categorise a new transaction.

Added support for the new Zambian currency (ZMW).

Fixed the iOS 5 and iOS 6 layout issue with the category button.

Finally some new icons to make the iOS apps look more like my Mac app(s). I hope you like them!

1. John Moulson
    August 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Firstly, it would appear that people using your app are a lot more computer savvy than I am and I only say this should you start to scratch your head at my lack of knowledge….

I have been using AT for a few years now and have it installed on my Ipad and iPhone and recently purchased the ability to view my accounts on my Mac. I would like to use the Family Sync so my wife can also add transactions from her Iphone and Ipad on our bank accounts.

Can you tell me (in lay-man terms) how I go about this?

Additionally, do I have to delete my current sync option between MY devices and then purchase the Family Sync option on each of my devices and each of my wife’s?

I am concerned that I may progress in my own way (trial & error) and only succeed in losing my way.

Thank you in advance!

John

• August 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Hi John, you both need to purchase Family Sync, and then you need to set up syncing as described @ https://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts/syncing/. You clearly need to use the same Dropbox account for this, otherwise you won’t see each other’s changes. Yes, you need to turn off Personal Sync. Note that there are few issues with Family Sync just now – see my support page. Version 4.3.1 was submitted yesterday to fix these.

2. Nathan Ellsworth
    August 22, 2014 at 8:26 pm

One more question. Your in-app help says Family Sync is not done until the app is “closed.” I’m not sure I understand what it means to close an iOS app. iOS apps don’t have a close button. Does going to the iOS home page by pressing the home button count as a close? Does four-finger swipe to another app count? Or do I need to double-press the home button to show all open apps, then slide AT off the top of the screen?

• August 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

By close I simply mean come out of the app. You don’t need to double-press the home button and kill the app. Just pressing the home button once will do it. Or switching between apps has the same effect.

3. Nathan Ellsworth
    August 22, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Do you have any additional tips on using Family Sync? I can play around with it but wanted to ask first, just in case there is the possibility of losing data. Here is my situation. My wife (Dana) and I have both been using AT for about two years and we both have separate checking accounts. She has an iPhone and iPad and uses personal AT sync between them. I have only an iPad. How do we begin using the Family Sync so I can see her accounts and transactions and she sees mine?

Does Dana need to switch from personal sync to Family Sync between her iPhone and iPad and we would basically be adding my iPad and have three synced devices? My worry is the possibility of her data overwriting my data if I add my iPad as a synced device.

Or does she keep Personal Sync between her two devices (using iCloud) and we set up Family Sync (using Dropbox) between my iPad and her primary device?

Also, once we enable Family Sync, are categories (and budgets) merged if they have duplicate names? If so, there are some categories I may want to rename before we start the sync. (E.g. Nathan Miscellaneous and Dana Miscellaneous)

• August 22, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hi Nathan, you can only enable one type of syncing, and all devices in the sync group are then kept fully in sync. By enabling syncing, all devices have their contents replaced with whichever device is your master (or primary) so what you are saying with budgets and categories won’t work. You need to get one device set up with everything before you enable syncing.

• Nathan Ellsworth
        August 22, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Ouch. So Family Sync won’t merge our data at all. What is the best way to get my two years of transactions and accounts onto my wife’s device, or vice versa? CSV export/import? Or can I copy a .atb file of mine to her iPad and restore backup there without overwriting?

• August 22, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hi Nathan, restoring a backup overwrites your data with whatever is in the backup. The only thing you could do is export your transactions and import them onto another device, but you would have to set up the recurring ones again.

• Nathan Ellsworth
            August 22, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Sigh. So this will be more work than I imagined. Does your CSV export format match your CSV import format as-is? In the past I though it required some massaging, but perhaps you’ve fixed this? Does the CSV preserve reconciled status?

I’ve already paid for the Family Sync feature, but looks like it won’t work for me yet, without significant work as you mention in recreating the recurring transactions. So please consider my purchase as a downpayment for your upcoming Family Sync & *Merge* feature!

• August 22, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Hi Nathan, the export format is deliberately different, otherwise people would end up duplicating potentially 1000s of transactions! You would need to edit the file but I’d be surprised if this was more than 2 minutes work. Yes it does preserve the reconciled flag. Family sync is exactly the same as personal sync, it just uses Dropbox instead.

• Nathan Ellsworth
                August 22, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Ok, I understand. I’m disappointed, so I suggest a note in the online help emphasizing Family Sync won’t merge data. Any existing data will be overwritten by the Primary device.

I’ll bet you have a few family users like us who’ve been using AT independently but want to take advantage of Family Sync. A merge utility, or a How-to document outlining the steps to merge manually, would be excellent.

• August 22, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Hi Nathan, I already explain that the secondary devices will have their data overwritten by the primary. See https://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts/syncing/. This is the way syncing has worked for a year now, and family sync is no different. You have to start off with the same data on each device, otherwise you can’t track changes.

4. August 22, 2014 at 11:03 am

Thanks Graham! The workflow improvement really speeds up data entry and once again illustrates the thought and effort that has gone into creating one of the best apps in the iStore!

5. Reader
    August 22, 2014 at 11:01 am

Hi, Graham.

Great work.
    Since I only enter category/sub category, amount and sometimes “note”.
    It seems that without entering “detail”, i can’t go straight to entering amount after choosing category.

Regards.

• August 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Hi Reader, that’s correct. I can perhaps look at detecting users who don’t use the details field. Although I am not sure why you wouldn’t want to track who you are paying or receiving money from?

6. August 22, 2014 at 8:57 am

How do I purchase it!

Regards Frank Murphy

Sent from my iPad

• August 22, 2014 at 8:59 am

Hi makfai, from the settings screen.