Home > Announcements > iCloud Drive and iOS 8

iCloud Drive and iOS 8

September 20, 2014

With the recent iOS 8 release, Apple have introduced a new feature called iCloud Drive. This is a bit like Dropbox and promises to be a better way to interface to iCloud itself.

Unfortunately once enabled, all of your files are migrated and they become inaccessible to any device NOT running iOS 8, or the soon to be released Yosemite (OS X). This makes it a bit of a problem for apps that need compatibility between multiple OS versions.

For now I would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to hold off enabling iCloud Drive, unless you can do without iCloud support in my apps.

Having said that, it appears as if iCloud Drive does work, but clearly only between iOS 8 devices.

Please see Apple’s FAQ on iCloud Drive.

1. Dave Craft
    December 28, 2014 at 8:39 am

I was wondering when you were going to release the Mac version of Account Tracker? Your website says “later this year”, but as we are now on the 29th December, there is not much left of this year!!

I have been an Account Tracker user for several years and love it. ‘Sync-ing’ between my iPad and iPhone has worked great but I have recently upgraded my iPad to a MacBook Pro running Yosemite. I have bought the ATB Viewer but can’t get it to automatically update from iCloud and clearly can’t do anything with ATB Viewer other than view; a real pain!!

Any update?

• December 28, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hi Dave, you must be looking at an old post. Please see my support page for an explanation of why I am not working on a full version just now. Also see my notes about incompatibilities with iCloud Drive. If all of your devices are using iCloud Drive, my backup viewer works fine.

2. Michael
    December 4, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Any update on the iCloud Drive scenario and your support for it ?
    I have resisted upgrading thus far, but there seem to be some good benefits of upgrading for other apps. All of my devices are either iOS 8 or Yosemite so there should not be any compatibility issues.
    Many thanks for a number of superb apps.
    Thanks,
    Michael.

• December 4, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Hi Michael, it works fine for me but some people have had issues. iOS 8.1.1 fixed a bunch of issues but I suspect there are more still to be uncovered.

• Michael
        December 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

OK thanks for the prompt reply. Maybe I’ll hold off for a month or so. (8.1.2 perhaps ).
        Have a great Christmas and New Year and hope you get a chance to have a break.

3. October 31, 2014 at 11:57 am

I am a bit confused. I have been using AT for 2 years and have no major issues. Since the upgrade to IOS 8, I have resisted to move over to IOS 8 because of all the issues AT has raised with iCloud and syncing. Perhaps Graham can help out answer some simple questions. I have also resisted in upgrading to Yosemite. My need are simple. I do not require family syncing, just my own iPhone and iPad.

I have an iPhone, iPad and iMac with AT reader installed.

I have IOS 7.1.2 on iPhone (which it says its uptodate), iMac running OS 10.9.5 and IOS 7.1.2 on iPad (which it says needs updating to IOS 8) You say iPhone and iPad should both be running IOS 8 but it says IOS 7.1.2 on iPhone is uptodate. Is there an IOS 8 for the iPhone?

What should I be doing?

• October 31, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Hi Byronski, not all devices support iOS 8, e.g. the iPhone 4 and earlier. That will be why you can’t upgrade beyond 7.1.2. You don’t *have* to upgrade to iOS 8 to continue using my app at all. But if you migrate just one device to iCloud Drive, this will prevent you using iCloud on all devices not capable of running iOS 8 or Yosemite.

4. Chris
    October 4, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Graham, I am trying to in-app purchase restore personal sync on my iPad. Once I touch personal sync the settings tab at the bottom changes it’s name to App Store and the main screen greys out and a turning symbol is displayed and nothing else is happening. Closing app completely doesn’t help.

• October 4, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hi Chris, that is just the AppStore not responding. I assume you have Internet connectivity? If so, give it time, or try a bit later. The app should respond to changing tabs.

5. Matt. Mcintyre
    October 3, 2014 at 6:59 am

I’m having a problem with syncing. I have an iPad mini and iPhone (on the same Apple ID) and my wife’s iphone (on a different Apple ID).
    My two devices are syncing but my wife’s iPhone isn’t. We were using the iCloud option.
    Previously my wife had the same Apple ID and have recently changed it so she has her own.
    With that in mind I have now changed it for the dropbox syncing option.
    It’s worked fine between my two devices but my wife’s has still not recognised a Primary (which is my iPad).
    Have I missed something out that is causing the non-syncing?

Matt

• October 3, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Matt, to support syncing, all devices need to be able to see each other. If you are using personal sync, all devices need to be using the same iCloud account. And if you are using family sync, all devices need to link linked to the same Dropbox account. I am guessing you haven’t done the latter?

6. John Barksdale
    September 30, 2014 at 1:46 am

After some input into my Ipad version, I found that the iphone version had not synced. They’re both on IOS 8.0. ICloud Drive is turned on in both devices. Until 8.0 everything was working beautifully for almost a year!

• September 30, 2014 at 7:40 am

Hi John, there was a big iCloud outage yesterday for some users (apparently). See my iCloud tips on my support page, and if you are using iCloud Drive, make sure my app is enabled in the main settings app, under iCloud. Try exchanging backups first before enabling syncing.

7. September 28, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Graham, I have just purchased Meter reading (dual App) but I can’t get the iCloud or Dropbox to be switched ‘On’ I have purchased One Time Power User and I have read your support pages and it tells me IOS 7 does not support iCloud. I have still have IOS 7 ( did not upgrade Account Tracker nor IOS 7 to 8 after reading so much bad news about it) I suppose Meter Reading is now IOS 8 supported. But it does not even switch Dropbox ON. I have free accounts of both. My Account Tracker works fine in OS 7

• September 28, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hi Byronski, for Meter Readings you need the Power User upgrade to support iCloud or Dropbox. Both are supported on all iOS versions, but Apple introduced some incompatibilities with its iCloud Drive. If you are not running iOS 8 that won’t be an issue.

8. Ian Scholes
    September 25, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Could I start using Dropbox to syn between my iPad with ios8 and my iPhone 4 that’s does not have iOS 8

• September 25, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Hi Ian, yes of course. That is the family sync in-app purchase. You will need an account on Dropbox (free).

9. Matt. Mcintyre
    September 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I have just read this bit of advice. I am having a problem syncing between devices.
    My iPad mini now doesn’t sync with any changes made on my iPhone but my iPhone picks up and syncs on any changes made on my iPad mini.
    My wife’s iPhone is not syncing – but I suspect this is due to her being on IOS7 and not having iCloud drive.
    Any suggestions on my iPhone iPad dilemma – both of those devices are iOS8 and iCloud drive enabled.

Matt

• September 23, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Hi Matt, if you have enabled iCloud Drive on any ONE device, this will prevent iCloud from working on all of your other devices. iCloud Drive is an all or nothing feature, and it is not backwards compatible. One enabled, you will only be able to sync (or exchange backups) between iOS 8 devices.

• matt McIntyre
        September 23, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thanks – for some reason my iPad mini switched off the sync function and so I had to switch it back on. Now I have used up all 9 switch options – but I only have three devices.
        I’m now concered as I may have a new device in the future. What should I do about this?
        I’m downloading iOS8 on my wife’s iPhone tonight so it should hopefully resolve this problem.
        Matt

• September 23, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Hi Matt, the number resets when you disable and re-enable syncing on your primary.