Home > Announcements > Windows Phone support deprecated

Windows Phone support deprecated

June 23, 2015

mrwpicon57 After more than 2.5 years at the top of the personal finance section of the Windows Phone Marketplace, I have decided to remove my two (Windows Phone) apps from sale. This won’t affect existing users, and nothing in the existing apps will stop working as a result.

It was an interesting experiment, mainly paid for by others (thankfully). However the market just isn’t big enough to support any form of continuous app development or maintenance (IMHO).

When I removed them, Account Tracker was THE top paid personal finance app in the UK (as it has been for most of those 2.5 years), yet actual sales were less than 1 per day. Meter Readings was in the top 10-15, with sales of around 1-2 per month. Anyone considering Windows Phone as a platform should think very carefully about these figures.

Many thanks to everyone who bought these apps. If you ever want to move to iOS as a platform, you will find that my iPhone and iPad versions have more features than on Windows Phone, they are regularly updated and are far better supported.

1. Graham Howett
    November 5, 2015 at 9:40 am

Hi, I purchased the Account Tracker app last year to run on my Windows phone. I’ve just upgraded to Windows 10 but cannot get it reinstalled through my purchase history. Can you send me the link please? Thanks

2. Martin
    August 7, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Bummer. I really enjoy your app.

3. Malcolm Goodman
    June 24, 2015 at 11:24 am

Dear Graham

I use your App on my iPhone 6 and think it is superb – long may it continue with your support!

Thank you for all your time and effort to enable me to have the benefit of this wonderful accounts App.

Best wishes

Malcolm

…………………………….. Malcolm Goodman MBE Sent from my iPhone

• June 24, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Hi Malcolm, support can only continue if there is revenue. At the moment this is fine (but decreasing!) for iOS, however Windows Phone just never took off, despite my apps being top of the paid charts.

4. coco20000
    June 23, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Normal qu’il n’y ai plus eu d’acheteur étant donné que vous aviez laissé tomber le développement de ces applications depuis très longtemps. Non seulement les gens ont payé une application qui n’était pas suivi mais en plus qui ne vont plus pouvoir s’en servir puisque l’application a été retirée du store. Je vais demandé à être rembourser. Et non je ne compte pas passer à ios, je préfère de très loin Windows Phone. Il y a fort heureusement des développeurs qui aiment Windows Phone

• June 23, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Hi, nothing in the app will stop working as a result of this decision. In fact why would it, since the app runs only on your device(s) and doesn’t rely on anything outside your device to work?

• coco20000
        June 24, 2015 at 12:35 am

Parce que l’application n’existe plus sur le store. Elle est juste installée sur mon téléphone. Si je dois formater mon téléphone pour une raison ou une autre (ça déjà été le cas à cause d’une mise à jour), je ne pourrais plus jamais réinstaller l’application car elle n’est plus disponible. Donc si, l’application est liée au store.

• June 24, 2015 at 7:30 am

The app will still be available via https://www.windowsphone.com/ by logging in and selecting your purchase history. Even though the app is not in the store. It is still there, just hidden. And if this doesn’t work, you can simply contact me for the link.

• coco20000
            June 24, 2015 at 8:41 am

Oui l’application apparaît dans mes achats, mais il n’est plus possible de l’installer du simple fait qu’elle ai été retirée du store. J’en ai déjà, hélas, fait l’expérience. Dès lors qu’une application est retirée du store il n’est plus possible de la réinstaller même si on l’a achetée.

• June 24, 2015 at 9:23 am

It hasn’t been removed from the store, only hidden. So you will be fine.