Home > Announcements > Account Tracker 3.8.4 now available

Account Tracker 3.8.4 now available

October 17, 2012

Added support for the larger retina display on the iPhone 5 and the new iPod Touch. NOTE: the minimum iOS version is now 4.3.

Added support for the latest Dropbox APIs.

Changed the way you show/hide reconciled transactions. The tick button was causing a lot of confusion, so now this is only used to start reconciling. To switch between showing and hiding reconciled transactions, simply pull the transaction list down from the top (just like on the accounts screen). HINT: to quickly scroll to the top of the list, tap the left or right arrows (depending on how you sort your transactions).

Fixes to CSV handling, including support for exporting search results and sending attachments in a format less likely to be manipulated by email clients (e.g. by inserting blank lines between the exported data). Many thanks to Robina Qureshi for helping me debug this one!

Some minor tweaks to the colours used on the navigation bars. The black is slightly less black, and the blue is a bit more blue. Give the latter a try by turning off “Black Theme” in the settings.

Added a link to my Top 10 Tips from the Help button.

Minor fixes and improvements.

NOTE: if you are using the app on multiple devices, always update them together whenever a new version is released!

1. Kevin Jacques
    October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Graham,

I know this seems rather ungracious, but this is the first time I have been moved to write a comment and instead of all of the previous 100 that I should have written praising you for everything you do, this is a bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism.

Can I just say that your App is by far the most important one on my iPhone and iPad (I am well practiced in the backup to Dropbox on one device and restore to the other one as a means to synchronise so whilst I am looking forward to the cloud mechanism for doing this I am not as desperate for it as some other reviewers), and the app that I most eagerly await updates for. Each update you have done over the years has been well considered, extremely well implemented and 99% of the time really useful. I am constantly amazed at the significant improvements you make with seemingly small nuanced adjustments, and always impressed when new functionality is introduced. It is the only app that I regularly recommend to friends and colleagues and is easily my most used app. And yes, I should have been saying that before!

The latest update however has caused me some confusion (and as a lecturer in Computer Science I feel reasonably au fait with the ways of technology). I am one of those people who regularly switch between hidden and shown reconciled items, and with 6 accounts and data back to 2009 that is a lot of transactions, I am also one of those people (who from your comments seem to be in the minority) who was perfectly happy with the press tick to reconcile, press and hold tick to show/hide reconciled items interface. The new mechanism however is just not working for me. Slide and hold to show reconciled transactions is fine – but the process to hide them again is just not intuitive at all. Like some other commenters, I cannot get the hide to work in any part of the list other than at the top of the transaction list and with 3 years data that is a hell of a lot of scrolling – and in just one day I have already unreconciled some old transactions by mistake in trying to drag down to hide. For me the Left Arrow route of getting to the top of the list to enable this was not something that I was aware of (this was the FIRST time I have ever had to search through your user guide to work out how to do something – every other change you have made I have read the update information once and from that point everything has always ‘felt’ like the right thing to do (part of the reason your app is so good in my opinion). The left arrow to get to the top and then drag down to hide seems to me to be the first every retrograde step in your updates, and I for one would put out a request to revert to the old press and hold the tick method.

• Steve Nugent
      October 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Graham, I have to agree fully with Kevin’s observations.
      The previous version tick symbol provided a simple one step tap to hide/show reconciled transactions.
      But when you have 2 years plus of transactional data the only route (that I can find, unless you say differently) to hide reconciled transactions is via the left arrow.
      Left arrow takes you to my first ever transaction in 2010 and then I can pull down and release to hide the reconciled transactions.
      AT is a terrific app, which I use several times a day and would be lost without it… just need a better solution to hide/show reconciled transactions than you have come up with… sorry.
      Steve

• October 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Hi Steve, see my response to Kevin.

• October 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hi Kevin, first of all why are you constantly switching modes? This is not something I expect people to do often.
      Yes the pull down bit only works from the top of the list (clearly) so all you need to do is tap the left arrow first. The whole sequence should take more or less the same time as the old tap and hold.
      I changed it because people never read documentation and no matter how hard I try to explain things with pop up windows … etc, these are often ignored. I therefore get lot of support requests from people who have “lost” all their old transactions.
      Let me compare the very obscure tap and hold feature, with the very obvious left arrow to scroll up. If you didn’t know about the latter (it’s been staring at you for a year!!), how do you expect people to figure out tap and hold?

• Steve Nugent
        October 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Looks like you/me are not going to win this one Kevin!
        I must also be in a minority as I do switch daily between hide/show.
        Why? Simply to ensure that when viewing my on-line credit cards that known transactions have cleared correctly and to ensure there are no erroneous debits (some paranoia from previous bad experience)

• Kevin Jacques
          October 18, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Steve, (and Graham),

I agree Steve, reconciling in the app is useful to make the input of new transactions manageable, but having access to those cleared transactions for checking against online statements for credit cards, savings accounts, bank accounts, and (and here I realise that I am being completely sad) in combining my finances with my wife’s finances which we do on a desktop version of Microsoft Money – seeing what has been reconciled is an intrisic part of all of those processes.

To be perfectly honest Graham, WHY I do something with the software is not the issue – the fact is that as a user I DO do it and that should be the concern of the software designer.

• October 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hi, I have already explained why I changed it, because for new users accidentally hiding transactions was causing a big support issue (you yourself weren’t familiar with a VASTLY more simple action, so I rest my case on usability). Also iOS users are not familiar with tap and hold as a gesture. Neat and clever, but a bad mistake for the novice user or anyone not prepared to read documentation (the majority!).

You can still show and hide reconciled transactions in pretty much the same amount of time as before, so nothing has been removed and you can still do what you want. Sure, its not a single gesture when hiding, but there is very little space to play with.

As I say, I don’t regard this as a feature that needs to be always accessible. As a software developer I have to make that call, otherwise the app would be full of buttons making every action accessible, leaving little room for your actual data. I don’t think you would want that either!

• Kevin Jacques
              October 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Graham,

I refer you back to my original comment about how impressed I have always been with regard to your choices as a software developer and the consistently impressive improvements you have made.

I will do my best to get used to the new way of doing this, and thank you for your comments.

Kevin

• October 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Hi Kevin, there is enough material on my individual account screen to teach an entire class on UI design! Perhaps you could use it as an example? 🙂

• Steve Nugent
                  October 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

For me two observations… the tick box becomes a redundant symbol on the screen when Reconcile by date is selected, so maybe a cosmetic change in a future release the tick should be hidden/greyed out when in this mode?
                  The single gesture on Accounts screen (to hide/show accounts) works perfectly, as it is unlikely that there would be many rows of Accounts to swipe up through to get to the top.
                  But replicating the same single gesture within the transactions… and I understand and support your reasons … for me has just lost some of the slickness this functionality was mean’t to deliver.
                  Best wishes
                  Steve

• October 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hi Steve, I completely agree it has lost some slickness, but it was not something I expected to be used that often (my opinion).
                    Re: greying out, that would mean it wouldn’t do anything. I think it is helpful for new users (where the default is by date) to explain what the button does, especially in the likely scenario of them not reading any of the documentation!

• Steve Nugent
                      October 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

No problem… by the way… we only comment because we care!

• October 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm