Home > Features > Meter Readings UI changes for iOS 7

Meter Readings UI changes for iOS 7

December 22, 2013

I am adding a few tweaks to Meter Readings, so I thought I would try to adapt the UI to iOS 7. I have included some screenshots below (click on them for full sized images). Comments welcome!

IMG_1972 IMG_1973 IMG_1974 IMG_1975 IMG_1976

1. Roger Ward
    December 23, 2013 at 2:15 am

Hi Graham

I’m not a Meter Readings user, just Account Tracker, but one thing I’ve found with the iOS 7 interface with some other apps is that I prefer them if I have iOS Settings, General, Accessibility, Bold Text set to On, otherwise the text is too thin and spindly.

So it would be good if you checked that the iOS 7 UI of your apps looked fine with this setting On. I’m not sure if the app has to be written to detect BoldText is On or if it all works automatically.

Regards Roger Ward

Sent from my iPad

• December 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hi Roger, this is a very good point. Yes, it works automatically as they essentially set the standard font to be bold behind the scenes.

2. lucamacis02
    December 22, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi Graham

These look great and works well with other apps I have seen with iOS 7. I can’t wait to be able to use it. I only have 2 areas of feedback that you may want to consider. I’m not really sure what the tick next to the reading submissions mean in the 3rd screenshot. None the less the meaning a tick signifies correct/right etc which I assume is not your intention. Other than that I would recommend moving the power icon into the settings/cog area. I would guess not a lot of people know what this icon does and I think it would be better explained with text as with the items in the cog contextual menu (eg: local compare/price comparison/something like that? I know it’s not easy)

I hope that helps and thanks again 🙂

Luca

• lucamacis02
      December 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Oh and I was wondering if you have given any consideration to flattening your icons a little? 🙂 May make or fit a tad nicer on home screens 🙂

• December 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Hi, the icon is already quite flat! But yes I will be updating it with the next update.

• December 22, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hi Luca, the ticks have the same meaning as they do in the current app. They show readings you submitted to your supplier, i.e. your bills.
      The power switch icon is a key feature for UK users, and I decided to make it a prominent feature of the main screen. I appreciate this isn’t helpful for non-UK users.

3. Vicky
    December 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I think in general it’s an improvement 🙂 I wasn’t sure about the iOS7 look in general when it was first released, but now I prefer it. The only thing about the above screenshots I would say, is that on the one showing the list of readings, the month ‘headings’ don’t stand out very much. Maybe you could darken the grey background a little?

• December 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Hi Vicky, yes I did wonder that myself. This is the default colour scheme from Apple though. I don’t really know why they made it so pale, with a dark font.