Home > Announcements > ATB Viewer for Mac 1.0 now available

ATB Viewer for Mac 1.0 now available

January 10, 2014

atbvicon64 This is a companion app to Account Tracker for iOS that lets you view your iOS backup files and data on the bigger screen of your Mac!

It can automatically load your latest backup from iCloud, and apply recent changes if you are using iCloud syncing. Alternatively you can manually select a backup file to open (e.g. from Dropbox).

You then have full access to your accounts, budgets, reports and transactions. The only things you cannot do is add or edit transactions, or change (most of) your settings. These changes will come with the full version later in the year.

ATB Viewer can be found on the Mac App Store. While there is a charge for the app(*), I will almost certainly discount the full version of Account Tracker when it is first released.

I am very keen to hear your feedback and suggestions, as this will help me improve the full version! 🙂

* Note that Mac apps cost just as much (if not more) to develop than iOS apps, yet the available market is far smaller (perhaps only 10%). This is why a typical full-featured finance app sells for £15-£40 (US$20-$60).

1. John Barksdale
    September 29, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I’ve been using ATB Viewer for a while and it doesn’t seem to synch all the time. Is there a way to force a synch if it seems to lag far behind.

• September 29, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Hi John, no as there is no need to do this. Your other comment mentioned iOS 8, so almost certainly you have enabled iCloud Drive. As Apple explained, this is not compatible with previous iCloud implementations, including all shipping versions of OS X. See https://grahamhaley.co.uk/2014/09/20/icloud-drive-and-ios-8/ for more details.

• John Barksdale
        September 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, Graham, syncing does work fine between my iphone and ipad with both on IOS 8.0. I look forward to upgrading my MAC to Yosemite.

2. Vicky Jenkins
    January 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm

ATB Viewer is looking good 🙂 I have a couple of questions:
    1. Would it be possible to make the columns resizable? Some of the category names are too long to fit into the current column size.
    2. I noticed, after the window had been closed with the red cross, clicking again on the icon in the dock does not do anything. Would it be possible to make ATB Viewer open up the most recent file at that point? Or else quit completely when the window is closed with the button in this way, so it will start up again when the icon is next clicked?
    Thanks, Vicky.

• January 14, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hi Vicky, thanks for the feedback. If you don’t shut the app down completely (with command Q), closing the window doesn’t close the app. You can still manually open files from the File menu. Also it is not possible to automatically open the last file you selected – Apple don’t allow that due to their sandboxing rules. But I am going to try to improve these two points in my next update. 🙂

3. Dave C
    January 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hi Graham. Glad to see you’ve shipped ATB Viewer! I know it’s been a lot of work.

I’m hoping to see resizable columns soon since the current version’s transaction date shows only the year and month before truncating!

Best,

Dave

• January 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hi Dave, I thought I had made that column width big enough as it works fine for me. I wouldn’t mind seeing a screenshot so will drop you an email.

4. Justin Robbins
    January 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hi Graham
    Happy to give it a whirl and share feedback. As a starting question – I have iCloud syncing enabled but only use AT on my iPad (as I got rid of iPhone so was using the sync functionality which worked well). Will this still work with iCloud from just my iPad or do I need to upload from Dropbox every time? I just made a change on iPad but don’t see it in the ATB version.
    Justin

• January 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Hi Justin, the changes should be written to iCloud ok, even with one device. Did it find your most recent backup? How long did you wait between changing something on your iPad (and closing the app), and looking on the Mac? iCloud isn’t particularly quick and it can take minutes.

5. Derek Butterfield
    January 10, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Got it! Synchronised with iCloud perfectly.

It’s a work in progress so I’m sure you’re looking at resizable columns and the reordering thereof. I’d also like to be able to exclude specific accounts from the sidebar.

Would be useful to know what you have in hand or in mind so as to prevent redundant requests and suggestions.

Nice to be able to see my accounts on my Mac at last.

• January 10, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Hi Derek, thanks for the feedback. You can collapse the account groups to hide accounts, and the app will remember this between launches. I’m sure what I have in mind yet, other than editing, 2-way syncing and settings. Any input gratefully received!