Home > Announcements > Account Tracker Family Sync

Account Tracker Family Sync

August 3, 2014

aticon57 I introduced database syncing to Account Tracker back in December 2012, and apart from the occasional issue with iCloud itself, it has been working flawlessly for many 1000s of users.

The one main drawback, however, is that iCloud only supports sharing between devices for a single iTunes account (an Apple limitation). This means it doesn’t work if two separate people want to share and sync their data.

Roll on 2014 (albeit August!) and I now have database syncing working over Dropbox. Multiple separate users could therefore use a shared Dropbox account to sync their data.

I will be testing this for a bit myself before releasing it, but you can expect it in a few weeks time.

Note that this will be a separate in-app purchase.

1. Gary
    August 11, 2014 at 12:02 am

I see that ios 8 is supposed to have family sharing with multiple family members using the same iCloud account.

• August 11, 2014 at 12:04 am

Hi, that is something completely different. Where developers give permission, it lets multiple accounts in a family to have access to each other’s content. It doesn’t support data sharing.

• Gary
        August 12, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Graham for clearing that up. So we can share pictures but not data, bummer.

• August 12, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Hi Gary, no, it’s not pictures. It’s your app purchases that can be shared. 😦

• Gary
        August 14, 2014 at 1:12 am

I see what you mean, appears to be for sharing movies, books, apps and the like.
        How about CloudKit framework? Sounds like a viable option to Dropbox.

• August 14, 2014 at 7:49 am

Hi Gary, that is just iCloud which I already support. It has the same restrictions.

• Gary
          August 14, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Thank you Graham for taking the time to answer my questions. One more, if you don’t mind. From Apple’s web page:

This cought my eye. “You can also store data in a public area where all users can access it.”

Is that data like your app would store or data like family sharing and social media?

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me.

• August 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Hi Gary, it’s a bit like the public area on Dropbox, where you can put something that everyone can access. I don’t think you would want to put your financial data there! 🙂

2. Nathan Ellsworth
    August 4, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Well, some stores are already selling Christmas decorations, but this will truly be an early Christmas present!

3. Vicky
    August 3, 2014 at 7:13 pm

This is good news Graham, look forward to using it 🙂