Home > Uncategorized > Account Tracker – 60 updates and counting

Account Tracker – 60 updates and counting

September 5, 2014

aticon57 atficon57 I was looking at the iTunes Connect developer portal and noticed just now many releases of Account Tracker there have been.

The first release (1.0) was on July 30th 2009, well over 5 years ago. Since then there have been no less than 59 updates, making v4.3.1 the 60th release! Pretty much one per month!!

26 of these have just been bug fix updates (including 4.3.1), but the remaining 34 have all added new features.

As we approach iOS 8, the AppStore is not what it used to be. Instead it is flooded with 1000s of apps that all do more or less the same thing. While the market is large, the available market for a single developer is dramatically smaller today than it was a couple of years ago. This is a huge shame for those of us who want to continue supporting what have been successful apps in the past.

Let us see what the future brings …

1. Keith Stockman
    September 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Most definitely the best app that I have on my IPad and IPhone. Have been using it for over 2 years and have never had an issue. Never thought that I would find something to replace MS Money which I had been using for years. Just goes to show how wrong you can be!

2. Roland
    September 14, 2014 at 7:02 am

Hello Graham;
    My iPhone 3G, with your app on it, started to drain the battery very fast, tried everything including a new battery; to no avail. Disappointed with such a expensive phone going down in less then 3 years, I bought the latest version of the old fashion Nokia (Nokia 112), which battery last nearly 1 month! Just to keep your app alive, I have my iPhone, via a 12V charger, connected to a car battery. If it wasn’t for you app, the iPhone would be ditched, for sure. I can’t run your app on my Macbook as it has OSX10.5.8 (highest version possible). Even with all those hurdles in the way, I think your app is the best and it would be a shame that you have to give up. I donated happily 10 pounds and hope that one day I can run your program on my Macbook, so I can finally ditch the iPhone!
    Best regards; Roland, Denmark.

• September 14, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hi Roland, I can pretty much guarantee that any battery issues will not be caused by my apps. The 3G though is a 6 year old phone. My apps work on an iPod Touch if you wanted something cheap. 🙂

• Roland
        September 15, 2014 at 5:58 am

Hello Graham; No, I never mend to say/suggest that your app causes the battery drain. Without any apps on, or even if I switch it completely off, the iPhone drains the battery with the same rate. I bought the 3G at the end of its production, assuming that all the bugs would be fixed and I would have a phone for a very long time. After all, for the price paid, you do expect something decent. My 7 years old MacBook does just that, and if it dies, I buy another one……..but no more expensive small Apple consumables…….oops, portables 😉 So, one day, I hope to see that your app can run on a Macbook ! 😉
        To end with the same slogan: Let us see what the future brings……
        Best regards: Roland.

• September 15, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hi Roland, for sure these devices don’t last forever! On your Mac question, my backup viewer is available now, however I only support OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later. That was released over 3 years ago now and there is a large cost involved in supporting old(er) software. I have to go with what the majority of people are running (10.9 Mavericks and soon to be Yosemite).

3. Darwin
    September 7, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I absolutely love this app. It makes keeping track of your finances on the go so easy. Now that you have added “Family Sync” I have purchased Account Tracker for my wife’s devices as well and of course Family Sync for both of us. Hopefully this will bring in a lot more revenue for you as I’m sure others have been wanting on this feature as much as I was. I thought this made the app complete, but then Paul mentioned adding a feature to add transactions without unlocking. Neat idea, I would pay for that feature as well. We always want more. Keep up the GREAT Work, it’s really appreciated.

4. Iain
    September 6, 2014 at 7:20 am

Why not add an annual subscription feature which gives access to the advanced features to aid the running costs.
    Several of my other apps do this: detailed weather reports, live traffic information.
    I’d pay 5-10 a year to use this app – it’s excellent .

• September 6, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hi Iain, I have thought of that too, but I can’t remove anything from the app, and essentially having two implementations in one adds to the complexity.

5. Paul
    September 5, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Been using it since 2011. Is still, and has always been, my most valuable app. Well worth the tiny price. Thanks for the continued development and first class support.

Feature request: an option to allow transactions to be added without unlocking the app. Would further reduce the time to add a transaction quickly while in a shop or at the petrol station. 🙂

• September 5, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Hi Paul, I have never really thought about that, but it’s not an unreasonable request. Perhaps one day …

6. Malcolm Goodman
    September 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I think what you’re doing is tremendous – thank you for a wonderful account app.

Best wishes

Malcolm

…………………………….. Malcolm Goodman MBE http://www.malcolmgoodman.com

Sent from my iPhone

7. September 5, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Congratulations Graham. And yes, we know all about that huge support that you have given us. Now use your imagination, creativity, and ingenuity to give us a simple voluntary mechanism to reward you or support you or whatever you want to call it. See my separate post earlier today on this. I have been waiting for this solution for the last four of the five years that you have singlehandedly been making my life work better and more smoothly.

Time to do it !

• September 6, 2014 at 10:35 am

Hi jpr007, reluctantly I have added a donation button to my website. Any funds received will be used to buy test devices and hardware.

1. September 27, 2014 at 9:24 am