Home > Announcements > Donations

Donations

September 27, 2014

The AppStore has changed over the past few years, with falling revenues from new apps sales (around a 75% decline for me). Developers are having to find new ways of generating income, through ads, in-app purchases or simply developing more and more apps (and abandoning each one).

While I do have some in-app purchases for non-essential features, I prefer to support my work through ongoing updates (see Account Tracker – 60 updates and counting). As a user, you benefit from many new features, as well as ongoing bug fixes to keep up with iOS changes and new hardware. Sadly there is no viable revenue model for this. 😦

I have therefore added a donation button to my website to let users contribute. Here are a few scenarios where a small (69p/€0.89/$0.99) amount MIGHT be appropriate …

1. Apple come out with a completely new version of iOS that changes the underlying behaviour. This happened with iOS 8 causing two crashes in Account Tracker that could not possibly have been foreseen in advance.

2. Apple come out with new hardware, requiring development work to support. The iPad is the obvious example, however the iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus all required code changes to be properly supported at their native resolutions.

3. Any update that adds a new feature you REALLY like.

Hopefully through new app sales, in-app purchases and donations, I might be able to make a living off this full time! 🙂

Many thanks for your ongoing support – it really is appreciated!

1. September 30, 2014 at 4:04 am

My take on this is Apple take far too much (30% I believe) and the reality is they care about no-one than themselves. They can’t even be bothered to organise the App Store properly and they allow tons of junk in the store. I suppose at 30% of all the junk sales there’s no incentive to Apple to bring a stop to it. Then, whilst people like Graham make highly professional really nice Apps, and provides a responsive support service, they don’t care about him either. Apple, the company so arrogant they don’t have a complaints department because they don’t have complaints, I was curtly reminded one day. Hmmm. Shame that Graham has to put this call out. What an indictment on you Apple. Is it all a big fat promise that leads to only a very tiny minority of developers ever making money, like Graham says unless one just keeps making things and abandoning them. The most awful thing is that any time Apple want to make their own versions of Graham’s Apps, that’s the end of Graham and apple will just send the boys round to put him in the blender. Think how its all stacked against a developer. Can you imagine any business being able to get away with this anticompetive monopolistic trading as an EU business in the EU?.

2. njfrenchuk
    September 28, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Hi Graham, I have been using your Meter Reading app for several years (with the paid upgrade) to keep track of my domestic gas and electricity usage as well as solar power generation (output and costs/income where appropriate). I have used the app to help determine whether I should or should not switch suppliers. I have also on occasion sought your assistance when issues have arisen with the app and have always received prompt and helpful advice. I shall therefore be glad to make a donation to support your useful work and would encourage others to do likewise as suggested by Roger above also. Cheers……..Nigel French

3. Nick Hoyle
    September 27, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Account tracker has given me complete peace of mind regarding my finances so I am more than happy to donate a tenner for your excellent work.

4. Roy Stenhouse
    September 27, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Graham I would be willing to support an upgrade cost or something like that?

Anyway, donation made, as no matter this app is excellent!!

Regards Roy D Stenhouse

Mobile: +44 (0) 7884 363 292

Email: roystenhouse@yahoo.co.uk Sent via Mobile Device

5. Roger
    September 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Come on everyone, we all know the true value to each of us from Graham’s efforts to keep this great app working and constantly building in improvements.

If you haven’t already done so, then try out the DONATIONS button not only to show your appreciation to Graham but to keep YOUR app working correctly.

Let’s all think of the consequences if Graham just decided to walk away one day and find other ways to fill his day.

Roger

6. Mark Valente
    September 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

Hi Graham, I have the Windows phone 8 and the IOS version . Go advertising Graham. And let people pay an annual or monthly fee to remove the advert. In some ways adverts are fun, I’m attracted to colour, detail and shapes. So I’ll come across a product which otherwise I’d not even try to find. Also you could get a cut from the advertiser of the link on your creates a sale. For myself these apps don’t help me save money. At present I prefer a spreadsheet built into the Windows phone. Cheers Mark.

• September 27, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Hi Mark, I’d prefer not to get into ads. I hate them myself, and I certainly wouldn’t add them to an existing paid app. It wouldn’t be right.