Home > Announcements > Migrating from Account Tracker to PRO

Migrating from Account Tracker to PRO

January 9, 2016

help

There are a number of scenarios to consider, so I will start off with the easiest ….

1. Currently running Account Tracker on one device. Simply make a backup in Account Tracker and restore it in Account Tracker PRO. You can then ignore the old Account Tracker app, and eventually delete it (or use it for a separate set of accounts perhaps??). There are many ways to copy backup files between apps and devices, and these are all documented at https://grahamhaley.co.uk/accounts/backups/. Note that the PRO app doesn’t support the old WiFi option, and Account Tracker doesn’t support AirDrop. The best way to copy backup files is by email or via Dropbox.

2. Running Account Tracker on multiple devices but not using the syncing options. You will be used to sharing backups then. Simply restore your latest backup in Account Tracker Pro and start using it instead of Account Tracker.

3. Syncing over iCloud (Personal Sync). On your SECONDARY device, you can simply add Account Tracker PRO as a new SECONDARY, and it will get all your latest data. You can then disable syncing in Account Tracker on that device. Your PRIMARY is more complicated. You really need to disable syncing, follow option 1 to migrate your data to Account Tracker PRO, and then set syncing up again.

4. Syncing over Dropbox (Family Sync). This is the same as option 3, but instead uses Dropbox behind the scenes. To share between separate apps, you need to be using the Root folder, not the Apps folder (a Dropbox restriction). This is set when you first enable Dropbox in my app. Alternatively you need to manually copy the files from your “Apps/Account Tracker” folder to your “Apps/Account Tracker Pro” folder. This needs to be done using the Dropbox app.

1. Alan Newport
    January 19, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Good Evening Graham,

I have just reloaded account tracker having had my phone repaired and can’t sync now with my other device. I can’t find the family sync or personal sync I paid for initially. Having read the comments below it appears we now need the Pro version. Do I need to pay £4.99 for each device for this to sync? I’m using drop box? I’ve not upgraded phones or changed anything. I had to download this app down from the cloud due to losing everything with the repair. Please advise as sync does not work now. Current using an Apple 4S. Thank you

• January 19, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Please see the Database Syncing section in the user guide where it explains what you need to do to restore purchases.

• Alan Newport
        January 20, 2016 at 1:16 pm

So do I need to upgrade to Pro then? Even though I paid for family and personal sync previously. Still not syncing even though paid for these extras previously.

• January 20, 2016 at 1:36 pm

No, just restore your purchase(s) as I explained. Which bit of the user guide is not clear on this?

• Alan Newport
            January 20, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Followed the instructions but stil not syncing since all these changes.

Downloaded the App again x 2 and now asks me to redeem previous purchases although these don’t show on having pressed the redeem button. Use to show both family sync and personal sync.

Also when it comes to syncing it wants both Dropbox and cloud on, which it never did before. You would tick your favoured option.

Finally not sure if I’m pressing the wrong option in drop box. Use to go for the drop box app file but this isn’t clear in the instructions.

Anything obvious I’m doing wrong here or shall I just give up. Instructions not helping.!

• January 20, 2016 at 7:26 pm

The in-app purchases have been removed as they are no longer needed. Sounds like you have restored your purchase(s) though, so you are good to go setting syncing up again. This hasn’t changed so just follow the instructions in the user guide. If you want to sync over iCloud, turn iCloud on first. If Dropbox, turn iCloud off and Dropbox on. It doesn’t matter whether you link to the root folder or the apps folder, as long as you pick the same one on each device.

• Alan Newport
                January 20, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Lovely thank you Graham.

When I select drop box, enter drop box details all appears good, however when I flick the syncing switch it says:-

‘To enable syncing cloud put be turned on. I have to flick the cloud switch (All three (Dropbox, cloud, sync) now on. This doesn’t seem right. I would expect either just Dropbox or cloud to be on, not both. Does this sound correct? I can’t use sync unless cloud on.

In short I’ve attempted everything to sync, cloud only, Dropbox and cloud. It won’t work. I’m wondering if the app is not reconciling my previous in app purchases for both family sync / person sync.

It might just easier if I just purchase PRO. What do you think? Do I need to purchase it for both phones?

Any idea what the problem is?

• January 20, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Nowhere does my app give that message. Specifically it says “To enable syncing, either iCloud must be ON or Dropbox enabled/linked”. This is explained fully in the user guide, under Database syncing. Do you want to sync over iCloud or do you want to sync over Dropbox? If iCloud, just turn the iCloud switch on before enabling syncing. If Dropbox, iCloud must be OFF and Dropbox enabled/linked. None of this has changed at all, and it is the same in the PRO version.

• Alan Newport
                    January 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I’m happy to send a screen shot if it helps.

I was set up on Dropbox before. The app won’t let me is it now. Even though it’s turned on when I turn on syncing it gives the message Syncing set up 0/5, to enable syncing iCloud must be on.

For some reason it won’t let me have drop box on alone and wants both Dropbox and Cloud on.

Alan

I don’t understand as drop box is already on.

Shall I contact Apple?

• January 20, 2016 at 7:58 pm

This is nothing to do with Apple. Had you previously bought Personal Syncing or Family Syncing (or both). Sounds like you only had Personal, which means iCloud is your only option. Dropbox doesn’t need to be on at all.

• January 20, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I have sent you an email to help.

• Alan Newport
                      January 20, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I’ve just had an online chat with Apple. In short they could see both in app purchases were completed on my account. One costing £2.99 and the other £1.49. They could see the £1.49 one was removed and refunded to me, but the £2.99 one is still active. Doesn’t make much sense to me but maybe to you.

All was working well until I had to reload my phone, with Dropbox.

I’m open to suggestions.

Taking screenshots now and will send to your email

Alan

• January 20, 2016 at 10:17 pm

So that explains why you can’t sync over Dropbox, essentially because you haven’t bought it! I have responded by email too, to help get you up and running.

• Alan Newport
                      January 20, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Hello Graham,

As discussed upgraded to the PRO and all working fine. Set up smoothly.

Thanks again for your help this evening.

2. Carole afranklin
    January 17, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Can I transfer my data from the fee version to the purchased 79p version, or do I need to start again from scratch please.

• January 17, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Yes from the bottom of the settings screen in the free version.

3. TJKeaveney
    January 10, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Hi Graham, I have long been a fan of your app Accounts Tracker and use it daily. While being easy to use, it is also has great features. I think, that it is these features that single your app out as being distinctive and I’m surprised you do not develop these features a little more or to push these features in your adds, or descriptions. One suggestion I have relates to the Reports. Presently the reports appear as follows.

This is simply a list of pending transactions, however by adding a single column of data, it changes the list to a valuable report which will be able to advise the user when specific transactions will bring the account balance into the red. The following page is split, the top portion is a copy of your report and the bottom is a suggested form showing the balance after the listed transaction. I do not believe there is much development work and I do believe it will make a huge difference. As u see there is sufficient room to take the additional info. This change can apply to all accounts and any combination of accounts.

Best regards Tom Sent from my iPhone

• January 10, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Bit difficult to follow, but surely you get that data by looking at the account screens?

4. BONGSH
    January 10, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hi! Graham, Would like to check how soon will Dropbox allow yr app account pro?

Thank and hear from you.

Regards Soon

• January 10, 2016 at 5:40 pm

If you looked at my support page, you would see that it should be ok now for most people. I temporarily increased the user limit.

5. Clive Bashford
    January 10, 2016 at 8:55 am

Hi Graham, have upgraded my 6+ & iPad mini to AT Pro & all works perfectly. Have been using AT since Nov 2011 & couldn’t do without it. Well done & good luck with Pro. Clive

6. Ian rice
    January 9, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Hi graham i have updated mainly because you deserve to be paid, however it syncs with my apple watch but some of the accounts are at zero when there should be negative in some and positive on others. I have reinstalled to watch severaltimes an jo joy?
    Ian

• January 9, 2016 at 10:45 pm

The watch app displays exactly the same data as on the iPhone, however it does depend on whether you are reconciling by date or by transaction. It will display today’s balance for each account if reconciling by date, and your reconciled balances if reconciling by transaction. Hopefully this explains what you are seeing.

• Ian
        January 9, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Thanks that sorted it, swapped from one to the other all good now. Happy to pay the £4.99 good luck

7. MattS
    January 9, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Hi Graham, first great work over the last five years with Account Tracker: I cannot begin to tell you how having a robust accounting app on the go has empowered myself, and now my wife who (I trust) is getting into her own system. Also these very post/s solidify my impression that you care about the user experience! I think you are absolutely entitled to this new round of sales.

8. jinomi
    January 9, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Hi!

I’ve been a paid user for years and just upgraded to the pro version. I use account tracker just on my iPhone and I’m trying to restore my data from the paid version to the pro version. So I head to settings / backups on the paid version, and hit backup now. Then I go to the pro version, but when I go to settings / backups, the “import / export by wifi” option is not there. I only see “back up now”.

How else can I restore a backup in the new pro version?

Thanks!
    Jin

• January 9, 2016 at 5:07 pm

A link covering how to exchange backup files is included in the migration page you posted your question from! The Pro version doesn’t support the old clunky WiFi option. Use iCloud or Dropbox or email instead.

1. January 15, 2016 at 8:20 pm