Home > Announcements > Account Tracker for Mac update #2

Account Tracker for Mac update #2

May 7, 2012

I have finally managed to find time to pick this up again, and have made some good progress today (wet bank holiday – need I say more!). As I mentioned back in January, I have a skeleton app reading the latest backup file from Dropbox, and being able to display groups and accounts, the current balance of each account, and also transaction lists per account. You can then filter on reconciled or not, or search (just like the iOS app). Also scroll up and down the transaction list (top, today, bottom).

One of the big issues I was struggling with over Christmas has now been fixed, although there is a second issue that I can’t quite figure out (removing a toolbar item with a custom view item from an NSToolbar).

Next steps are cleaning up a few loose ends, then tackling the budgets and reports screens.

Being realistic, I am not expecting this to hit the Mac AppStore until later this year, however I would hope I can get something out for testing over the summer.

UPDATE (14 Aug): not much more progress, sorry. I am concentrating on a good sync solution for iOS which will be needed by the Mac version too. Once sync support is released I will be back on this …

UPDATE (13 Nov): making good progress on sync support, which should be released before Christmas (v3.9). Then back to the Mac version …

1. Christian Simpson
    December 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Graham, great job on this app, been using it for about 15 months now, it’s excellent.

Now you’ve got the icloud sync nailed, I’m keen to know how your mac app development is progressing. I’m about to purchase an iPad (assume it’s on there already?) but would love to have this replicated onto my mcbk pro.

Any update re: expected release date

Once again, very well done, an excellent app.

Have a great Christmas!

• December 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Hi Christian, give me a chance, I still need to do my Christmas shopping! 🙂

Seriously though, I’ve not done anything on the Mac version for 6+ months (apart from figuring out syncing which is a requirement). I am only now getting back to it, and hope to make some progress over the holidays.

2. November 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Graham, just been introduced to Account Tracker, the software and very pleased to see such glowing reviews. I have been using Quicken for the last 12 years plus on a Windows XP machine and am a very vivid fan of it. Having recently converted to the Apple range of computer suites, iMac, iPad Series 2 and a iPhone 4, I am wondering if the Account Tracker synchronises with iPad Series 2 & iPhone 4 and probably later with iMac, similar to iCal, Contacts and so on. I don’t want to stick to one platform only to enter data. What I found with the Apple range and iCloud, is that data entered on one device is automatically synchronised on the other devices through iCloud. The advantage of using the iMAc will be the convenience of doing analysis on a bigger screen and ability to print it

• November 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Hi Byronski, it doesn’t automatically sync today but you can share your data using the backups feature. I am working on an auto-sync solution that I hope to release in the next few weeks. Possibly then I will get back to the Mac version.
      NOTE: iCloud doesn’t work without developers having to spend many months of effort writing code!
      BTW you can print straight from your iPhone or iPad (see the Reports screen, then generate a PDF).

3. Raul
    October 31, 2012 at 12:05 am

Any updates on the progresssss ??? Please 🙂

Thank you !
    Raul

• October 31, 2012 at 7:21 am

Hi Raul, no progress I’m afraid. Too many other things have happened since May that I have taken my time. I am working away on syncing now which is clearly needed by the Mac version.

4. Wilson Michael
    October 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Don’t let me be the one to make your life difficult! BUT, I now use Accounts all the time on my iPad. Luvvit! It has recently “appeared” on my iPhone, but I don’t remember actually downloading it? Not a problem, I hasten to add. Guess who’s recently treated themselves to an iMac? Accounts would be unbeatable if it could sync between all three same as mSecure!

• Russ Girdler
      October 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I don’t want to ruin your day, but I have been waiting since May this year for a progress report on the iMac version of account tracker. I think Graham has been diverted to get a Windows 8 version up and running. I think he’s also trying to achieve perfection on the iPhone – iPad version. It’s a shame but I have feeling that an iMac version is a big leap forward. Like you, I have been waiting for the new iMac and told Graham I would not buy one until the account Tracker iMac version was released. I think that was a mistake. The mini Mac is on my Christmas list, but I don’t think anybody loves me that much !!!

• October 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Hi Russ, well you would be very wrong. I am not working on a Windows 8 version at all, and nor did I do much on the Windows Phone 7 version. I am not trying to achieve perfection either. However a number of things have happened since May …
        First the retina iPad came out forcing me to update all my apps. Dropbox then changed their APIs – another 4 updates. The new iPhone happened, as did iOS 6 (another set of updates).
        Syncing is by far the most important feature I want to release, and I am close. See https://grahamhaley.co.uk/2012/10/17/syncing-support-in-account-tracker/ for my latest update.
        Basically I have not had any time since May to work on the Mac version – sorry.

• Russ Girdler
          October 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

My last comments were not meant as criticism in any way and I am sorry I got my facts wrong, I thought you mentioned in one of your blogs that you had submitted a windows 8 version of account tracker. I’m also a bit grumpy because an unexpected huge bill for my cars MOT wiped out my Apple fund. So maybe the iMac version of account tracker will be ready before I get my iMac. Carry on the good work.
          Russ

• October 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi Russ, sorry about your MOT! I did mention Windows 8 in passing, but that is not me!

5. September 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hi Graham. I love Account Tracker and use it every day on my iPhone and iPad. I really hope you manage to get the Mac app version sorted. Been using Money Wiz, because of the cross platform ability, but much prefer Account Tracker. Can’t wait for a Mac version that syncs with all devices. Good luck.

6. Raul
    August 13, 2012 at 9:34 am

I would gladly pay for the Accounts as a Mac app!!! Please make sure it syncs (back and forward) perfectly, sync can be a mess if not made 100% perfect.
    Using Dropbox is fine, but please give an option to store the files where I want, not in the root of Dropbox like other iphone aps. I don’t like when my dropbox root folder looks really messy …

Your work until now is really appreciated here, thank you very much !

• August 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Hi Raul, I already support a sub-directory in Dropbox – it is in the documentation. Just create a folder called AccountTracker and the app will use that. Same goes for my other apps too.

7. July 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Graham, Love both the iPad and iPhone version and use these daily to keep track of all accounts including my business one now. Looking forward to the Mac version when it’s released, if you want test subjects then add me to your list 🙂

8. July 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Have converted my wife and father to using this instead of MS Money, thanks for all the hard work, great app. Also looking forward to version for my iMac

9. James Warwood
    June 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I have just discovered the wonder that is Account Tracker on iPad and iPhone. Would love a mac/imac version. Also would be happy to beta test. Keep up the great work!

10. Tom
    June 29, 2012 at 9:28 am

Likewise very happy to act as a beta tester for your Mac app. Honestly can’t wait for that – it will be the perfect solution with the phone app. i’d no longer need to put my thumbs through such RSI torture going through my weekly account updates!!

11. Lokadhī
    June 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I use Account Tracker all the time on my iPhone – it’s transformed my life: thank you !

I’ve been completely unable to synch with iPad think that may be an iPad issue -Logging into the URL you give just hasn’t worked – deeply frustrating … Feel by exposed not having backups off the iPhone.

I can barely wait for you to get a version suitable for MacBook Pro (Lion) up and running – please do keep plugging at it … ! Would make a huge difference to have a MacBook sized version to read and input.

Thanks for all your hard work – and happy bank holiday !

Lokadhī

• Russ Girdler
      June 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I transfer backups between my 2nd gen iTouch and iPad using bluetooth. It works a treat! Like you I am waiting for the iMac version of Account Tracker, well, I will be, when I get my iMac!

• June 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Hi, to export and import backups over WiFi you need a computer in the middle. You can’t do it straight between your devices. Dropbox and iCloud are far easier to use.

12. Christopher Smith
    May 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

I would be very interested in having a Mac app version of Account Tracker. Happy to be a beta tester too.

13. Donavan
    May 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Glad to hear you’re working on a Mac OS version. I like the iOS version a lot, and can’t wait to share data between my iPhone, iPad, and iMac. I assume it will be iCloud compatible as well, any thoughts on having the apps update live over iCloud, instead of having to retrieve backups manually? I don’t know how difficult this is from a programming standpoint, but this feature would add a lot to an already excellent program.

• May 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Hi Donavan, yes it should sync over iCloud (eventually). It is a very difficult problem, but not impossible.

14. Russ Girdler
    May 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm

With all your other activities it’s a wonder you find the time to develop this app! But as they say “fit in body, fit in mind”. Saving up hard to buy an iMac before this app hits the streets. I might just manage it!

• May 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hi Russ, I am looking forward to the new iMacs too – mine is in need of a replacement! Hopefully next month!!

• Russ Girdler
        May 10, 2012 at 11:36 am

Do you actually mean new iMac as in “New Model for 2012”? Do you know something I don’t, no don’t answer that!

• May 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Hi Russ, I do indeed mean a new model. I think its fairly widely known that Apple are due to release new MacBooks and iMacs in June – see http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/. Fingers crossed!!

• Russ Girdler
            May 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Wow! I did not expect the new models that soon, so no pressure Graham, I can’t possibly buy a new iMac unless I have an “Account Tracker” app that works on it!!!

15. Derek Butterfield
    May 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

Excellent! Really looking forward to this.